setting XUP new board

Hi

Here purchased a XUP VIIpro board (Digilent) today and trying a test with no success :) I am using EDK / ISE 6.3i with latest software update, Windows XP laptop PC.

It seems to have two problems.

First, when I first power-on, 'SYSTEM ACE' LED blinks in red, meaning something is wrong.

According to the hardware manual ug069, " JTAG configuration is by default from the Compact Flash. If a JTAG-based configuration is selected and a valid configuartion file is not found on the Comppact Flash card, the SYSTEM ACE ERROR LED flashes. "

One thing is that I do not have a Flash card !! -: It seems that I need to change jumpers or switches (i am not sure), but no idea how to manage this.

Second, when I first USB-connected between PC and the board, Windows machine automatically tried to find a device driver. Then something popped up saying " Hi speed USB device plugged into non-hi speed USB hub. ....will function at reduced speed ".

Still I am not sure if those 2 problems are really problems -: Anyway when I run 'hyperterminal' (with correct setting - 9600baud,

8data bits, No Parity, 1 Stop bit and No flow control), nothing appears in hyperterminal. So it should be something wrong.

My goal is to configure using USB cable without Flash card and run 'hello world' with microblaze :) If someone has this experience (especially with XUP board), let me know how to shoot trouble.

Thankyou in advance

Reply to
elinore2005

The blinking red LED is normal--as the manual indicates it means there is no System-ACE card inserted. Since you don't have a CompactFlash card, I'm not sure what your problem is.

I have an older USB controller in my laptop and get that warning as well. You do need to upgrade to XP Service Pack 1:

The "Using Base System Builder" Quickstart at

has info on just how to create such a "Hello World" SoC design.

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr wrote:

Reply to
Paul Hartke

No , just means you don't have a compact flash card plugged in.

Read the user/reference manual available here

or

They are not problems. Standard annoying windows message when you plug a high speed(up to 480Mbps) usb device into a low speed(1Mbps) or full speed (12Mbps) port.

Using a standard serial cable ?

Worked straight out of the box without problems here. other than the memory test - due to not having a supported dimm - tried to use a dual bank 256MB. Haven't had time to build a microblaze project yet. Hopefully some time this week , I also want to give uclinux and linux a whirl.

Try setting switch9 on to sw9-1 up (on) and up (on) that'll give you the goldern (builtin) config.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Hi

Yes, 'blinking in red' was not a problem .... I followed 'quick start' example in the DIGILENT web site.....'hello world' with microblaze is now okay Thankyou all for nice remarks

Reply to
elinore2005

power cycle the board while trying to connect.

Reply to
el231bat