Server configuration for Virtex5

Hi,

Our company is looking to buy some Linux servers for design implementations of Virtex5. So I was wondering if there is any optimum configuration that I can use to decrease my run time of the designs.

-- Goli

Reply to
Goli

Hi Goli,

The synthesis tools currently run as a single threaded process, and therefore dual and quad core CPUs have a limited effect on performance. I run the tools on my dual core desktop and the main benefit of dual core for me is that I can perform other tasks while the tools are crunching away on one of the CPUs, on my previous single core machine it was pretty much unusable.

Apart from having at least one fast CPU you will also benefit greatly from having a large amount of high bandwidth memory (

Reply to
Rob

The factors seems to look like this: * Don't bother with more than one core. * L2 cache is really good (L1 doesn't hurt). * Fast memory bus (FSB speed). * Fast dram chips (DDR2 >600 MHz etc). * 64 bit over 32bit. * CPU frequency.

So you should get fast memory primarly, and secondarly look at cpu frequency.

Reply to
Sky465nm

Hi, Rob, sky46

Thanks a lot for your inputs.