Selecting device in Project Properties : no XC2V1000?

Hello,

I'm new in using ISE and I'm trying to start project for Virtex2 FPGA with 1M gates - but in Project Properties (after selecting "Virtex2" in Family field) I can't find xc2v1000 as an option in Device field. Only options I find are "xc2v40", "xc2v80", "xc2v250" and "xc2v500". I'm using ISE 9.1i with Service Pack 1, but the same problem occurs wit ISE 7.1i with Service Pack 4. Does anyone have some suggestion what should I do to make option "xc2v1000" available? Thanks a lot for every help! All the best,

Vladimir

Reply to
Vladimir Orlic

gates - but in Project Properties (after selecting "Virtex2" in Family field) I can't find xc2v1000 as an option in Device field. Only options I find are "xc2v40", "xc2v80", "xc2v250" and "xc2v500". I'm using ISE 9.1i with Service Pack 1, but the same problem occurs wit ISE 7.1i with Service Pack 4. Does anyone have some suggestion what should I do to make option "xc2v1000" available? Thanks a lot for every help! All the best,

Vladimir My _guess_ is that you are using the free ISE WebPack. I think that only the $$$ version of ISE supports the larger chips. Somewhere on Xilinx's site there should be a list of which versions of ISE supports what chips. HTH

-Dave Pollum

Reply to
Dave Pollum

Hi Vladimir, if you have the free version ISE 9.1i (Webpack), you won't get xc2v1000. You have to pay the full blown version of ISE to get that. However, there may be a workaround. Download the old ISE Webpack 6.3i and its Service Pack 3 from

When Xilinx released Service Pack 3 for Webpack 6.3i, they "accidentally" included larger FPGA families that is not supposed to be there. I remember that they include all members of Spartan 3. So, they may also include all members of Virtex 2 as well. Note that Webpack 6.3i does not include FPGA Editor and Core Generator.

Good luck!

Frank

Reply to
frank_logic

Vladimir, another approach would be to use a more modern device, like the Virtex-4 LX25. This is almost the smallest part in that family, but has twice as many resources (>20 000 LUTs) than the XC2V1000, which -in its days- was considered one of the larger devices in its family. Evolution is very fast in our industry, and it may be wise to move to a more modern family (Virtex-4 is about 3 years old) with a lower price, faster performance, and better software support. If you want to compare logic sizes roughly: After Virtex-2 we knocked two zeros off the designator, so your -1000 is equivalent to a -10 in Virtex-4 and later (but the newer Virtex families do not have such small parts anymore). Logic has become very cheap... Take a look at it. Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications

gates - but in Project Properties (after selecting "Virtex2" in Family field) I can't find xc2v1000 as an option in Device field. Only options I find are "xc2v40", "xc2v80", "xc2v250" and "xc2v500". I'm using ISE 9.1i with Service Pack 1, but the same problem occurs wit ISE 7.1i with Service Pack 4. Does anyone have some suggestion what should I do to make option "xc2v1000" available? Thanks a lot for every help! All the best,

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Which is all well and pointless if he happens - as is likely to be the case - to be holding a development board with the old chip and not have a budget for a new one.

So how about giving away licences to the old full versions of the software for the obsolete parts... yeah, probably be a support headache though the webpacks are there already.

Reply to
cs_posting