SDRAM vs DDR2 on Spartan3E

Hi all,

I am considering to replace a SDRAM with a DDR2 on a custom Spartan3E1200 board to gain some bandwidth in a Microblaze system. Currently I am working with OPB_SDRAM core and I am not satisfied with

60MB bandwidth in burst mode (x16 SDRAM and 50MHz clock). It takes 4 cyles to read a word (32bits) and it does not support async clocking, so OPB clock is the same as RAM clock. I wonder what can I expect if I use x16 DDR2 RAM coupled to MCH_OPB_DDR2 (power consumption, bandwidth, problems...).

Cheers,

Guru

Reply to
Guru

you may have better luck using DDR memory, the DDR controller is little better in performance then the SDRAM IP core from xilinx. going with DDR2 on S3E I would not advice unless you really know what you are doing (and then you would not ask about it..)

Antti

Reply to
Antti