salary ballpark please guys

I don't really know. It could be that since I don't have an advanced degree, I am just more attuned to positions I could conceivably fill.

I have noticed that there is a lot of federal money currently being spent on a variety of defense projects, including research projects. Not everyone is interested in that kind of research, of course, but if you are, it might be a cause for hope.

That would be funny if it weren't so true. ;-)

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

In my experience, the only postings which list specific salaries are the postings by recruiters. I don't think most of those are real jobs. The recruiters are just trying to collect resumes.

But YMMV.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

One of the recruiting web sites in Silicon Valley runs amusing radio ads making fun of the other recruiters. Someone calls in to a recruiter and asks about a job that has a listing with a code "MU", and is told that it stands for made up. The ensuing conversation is something like:

"So it's not a real listing?"

"Oh, the listing is real, but the job doesn't exist."

"What about this other one with the code 'BS'?"

[pause...] "Oh, that must be from our old coding protocol."

When I've dealt with recruiters, there were always real jobs associated with the listings I inquired about. But maybe that's not universally true.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

EETimes salary review 2004

JoeG

Austin,

Thanks for the excellent post.

I agree with your sentiments in that salary isn't everything (indeed - it is far from it). Your brother hit the nail on the head for sure.

The main thing I think is that you enjoy what you do and get paid such that your employer *values* you and you feel valued.

This leads to stimulating environment where employee and employer respect each other and neither party feels like they are getting a bum deal.

Of course, you need an idea of what your value is to make sure the salary fits (or thereabouts!), hence my post.

I also agree that an engineer with a bachelors degree and years of experience is worth way way more than someone with a PhD an next to no experience (2000 - 2004 was a good time to be doing a PhD on DSP on FPGAs however given the state of the industry! :-) )

Incidentally, my wife is always telling me how much smarter than me she is (she is). I just wave my PhD certificate at her when that happens - drives her nuts... ;-)

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

~120K/yr

Here in Oslo, Norway a newspaper delevery person working 29-39 hours a week can make $126K/yr (NOK 800K). No PhD required :-)

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

In article , Petter Gustad writes: |> Here in Oslo, Norway a newspaper delevery person working 29-39 hours a |> week can make $126K/yr (NOK 800K). No PhD required :-)

Does that give any idea about the rent for a single one-room apartment and the average costs for food?

Or is that newspaper delivery just an alibi job for some other, lesser legal delivery going on below the surface? :)

Rainer

Reply to
Rainer Buchty

A 16 sq.meter apartment (180 sq.ft or the size of a typical American clothing cabinet) in Oslo costs up to 1.2MNOK or close to $200K. Gasoline in northern Norway was $8.60/gallon a couple weeks ago.

No :-) There was an article about the paper delivery workers in the Norwegian Financial Times

a few weeks ago. Some of them makes more (> 1M NOK) but they work more than 40 hours a week.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?