S3E USB2.0 port

Hi all,

Did anyone use USB2.0 port of Spartan3E Starter Kit for his own purpose? If course this includes unsoldering of some pins, wirnig them to FPGA IOs and reprogramming the Cypress FX2. There is also JTAG port on-board to program FPGA and PROM.

Thanks,

Guru

Reply to
Guru

Guru schrieb:

there is no need to change any wiring. just rewrite the FX2 serial EEPROM to force it to load your own firmware and then you can use JTAG pins and user logic connected to BSCAN to implement USB to FPGA link

Antti

Antti

Hi Antti,

In Spartan3E Starter Kit can we use FX2 processor to reporgram the FPGA ?

have some application like that and would like to know whether it works before trying in actual board

rgds bijoy

Reply to
bijoy

bijoy schrieb:

trying in actual board

sure the FX2 can be used to load the FPGA! the FX2 and the CPLD are 'duplica' of Xilinx platform cable - you may have to reprogram the CPLD also in order to have the comms done (or if you figure out the way the original CPLD code works then you can keep that).

There is software available for FX2 that fully emulated Altera USB blaster - so you could take that firmware, implement simple wire-bypass in the CPLD and then use Altera Quartus programmer to play back impact generated SVF/STAPL files to program the FPGA

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Antti,

Is there anything that you don'know about FPGAs? Unfortunatelly I am not satisfied with couple of IO pins for BSCAN. I need 16 bit pipe transfers. I will just connect my Avnet S3E board (with FX2 on it) to Xilinx S3E starter kit and use the cripled S3E100 (on Avnet board) as a route-through. I wonder if Hydra modules come up with a decent driver (PC and EDK module) for on-board USB2.0 (with a source code of course).

Thanks,

Guru

Antti wrote:

before trying in actual board

Reply to
Guru

Guru schrieb:

Sure!

I know that LatticeXP2 will be LARGE (compared to XP) and has serdes, but I dont know other details :(

The BSCAN is pretty much documented and fun to use.

hydraxc modules do come with some USB code of course what is currently available is

1) working standalone application demo for USB Mass Storage class device. eg you plug the USB cable to PC and then the miniSD is visible has removable disk from the PC host. 2) minimal HOST standalone demo, enumerates internal HUB, set hib port on, and reads Device descriptor from external device 3) from Philips is optainable

source code for the uclinux host driver, this is however not fully suitable for microblaze-uclinux :(

well from this driver here is some terminal log from hydraxc-uclinux:

# mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb # cd proc # cd bus # cd usb # cat devices T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=480 MxCh= 1 B: Alloc= 0/800 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1 P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.04 S: Product=USB PHCI Root Hub S: SerialNumber=802f7c00 C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 0mA I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=256ms

we do not have this driver fully working (but hopefully will have soon).

As of open-source linux driver we are looking for solution (the Philips driver is not available as open-source unfortunatly)

As of hardware side the ISP1761 can be connected to EDK system using OPB_EMC and is visible as memory mapped peripheral. The host drivers, well it depends what class you implement for CDC or mass storage there are no PC drivers needed

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Hi Antti

Do you know of a way of accessing the Xilinx platform USB cable from an user application ?

The only way I know is the xtclsh stuff but I found it pretty slow ... I designed a small module connected to a BSCAN where basically I just need to continuously read the User DR and it takes ages to read a few megabytes ...

And I know it could be faster because if I could drive the jtag pins manually at 24 Mhz, it would just take a few seconds to do such a transfer ...

Sylvain

Sylvain Munaut

Sylvain Munaut schrieb:

the easiest way is possible hacking the impact-server tcp protocol, its rather simple. just start impact server (with debug logging), then impact that is connected to it and look in etherreal and debug log

this way you can talk to any xilinx cable be it USB or not. I have partial protocol infos available, but not full :( should be doable in a few days work. sure the protocol may change every impact release :(

or potentially you could also use the xilinx jtag dll's but they are also allmost not documented :(

hm, the best solution would be to write open-source replacement firmware for the platform USB cable!

Antti

Reply to
Antti