S3 starter kit, command-line

Any idea why flash programming would fail on the old starter kit (S3, not S3E)? I cant even load the Digilent demo bitfile without getting a verification error. The jumper is on default and the board works just fine otherwise. Flash blanking and readback works just fine.

Anyone out there with a simple ISE project that generates bitstream/prom and programs the board without using the UI?

[the ironic thing is that the project I am trying to get to work is a programmer for Atmel flash]

regards - Burns

Reply to
burn.sir

Well, I really had enough of this last night (with Impact crashing every 5 minutes instead of the usual every 20 minutes). Was so -> :10D3A000000000000000000000000000000000007D

The error rate is something like 2-3%. The board is new*, the cable is new. Hell, even the computer I ran this from is shiny new. Everything works just fine when programming the FPGA directly.

Does Anyone know what the problem is? Is xilinx flash this unreliable, or am I doing something wrong?

regards

- Burns

  • actually its really old, but totally unused. I just haven't cared enough to play with my xilinx boards. Very much thanks to a scary first encounter with ISE...
Reply to
burn.sir

That looks like it just stopped writing 0's ?

If you read 30 times, do you get the matching 30 results ? - that checks read integrity. Can you get the Flash into a device programmer, that can read it. That gives a second verify of contents.

Are these errors always at start/finish. ? I have seen other devices flash-error on preamble or post-amble timing errors.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hmm, If this is the small S3 starter board that you program via USB?? Err, I got it from memec for about 100$ a while ago, I don't remember the exact name (alas it resides in a cupboard somewhere now), anyways in my case the combined flash-processor-usb packed up after about a week using it, the documentation was useless, and it looked like a real beast to debug. I had the same sort of problem meaning I coundn't get a bitstream into the flash without it becoming corrupt, then of course the S3 programming wouldn't verify. It would work by JTAG, directly into the FPGA, but that was it. I'll have a look see if I can find the board - itmight be a batch fault...

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd

sounds fairly similar to the OP's - here is one idea : do Xilinx publish any FLASH cycle limit guarantees, on these ? - could just be a small number.... [ The OP could just live with a 2-3% failure.... :) ]

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim,

claims 20,00 program/erase cycles.

Is this what you are asking about? If you desire more information, I can look into it,

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

If those are what's on the PCB under discussion, thanks. That sounds like a few design iterations ! :)

I guess one way to determine if this is some early failure mode in FLASH ( or some marginal SW/timing issue) is to change the FLASH. The OP could try that ?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > The error rate is something like 2-3%.

Does this mean it fully pases 97-98% of the time ( fails only one in 30 downloads ), or that the memory compare, shows a cell-match failure of 2-3%, and a download never fully works ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim, I think Austin lost a "zero" the ds123 claims: "Endurance of 20,000 Program/Erase Cycles" (20 thousands)

bye Sandro

Reply to
Sandro