RPM creation

Hello,

I'm going to create a RPM after PAR, for a Xilinx Virtex2. Following XAPP422 I have to launch floorplanner to create the ucf and ngc. Since I don't change the placement I hit only some menu items and and exit it. The ngc can be created via ngcbuild. Is there any command line tool for generating the ucf?

Furthermore, what stands RPM for. XAPP422 says Relationally ... but XAPP416 Relatively ...:-)

Bye Tom

Reply to
Thomas Reinemann

You can use a standard text editor to edit the ucf file :-)

Well, a RPM is a group of elements, whose location relative to each other, is fixed, but their absolute location is undefined. This may be a register bank, whose single registers are placed in a column, or something else.

You can use the Xilinx floorplanner to place whatever your design contains, either fixed, or relatively (by grouping). The result can be saved in the ucf, and this ucf can be used to reproduce the desired placement in the next implementaion.

You would only want to do this for speed, control or the beauty of the design :-)

Try to google this group, a lot of infos can be extracted from old posts.

BR, Chris

Thomas Re> Hello,

Reply to
Christian Schneider

Floorplanenr will create the UCF file when you save it's ".FNF" file. Be sure to include the UCF file which floorplanner creates in your project. This step is not automatic.

Actually, you can apply RLOC constraints to your logic in the HDL itself, but for this to be effective, they must be applied either to instantiated primitives or instantiated components which are composed of primitives. Many designers create libraries of commonly used components such as registers, adders, etc which have RLOCs embedded in the HDL.

RPM: I vote for relationally (heard that being used more often)

Reply to
Jim George

I know how I have to create a RPM. But since the logic is placed during PAR floorplanner is only used to extract the RLOC constraints from the ncd. Just now I'm looking for a command line tool to avoid to click around in floorplanner. Similar to ngcbuild which I can use to create the ngc.

Bye Tom

Reply to
Thomas Reinemann