RocketIO clock recovery

Hi,

I´m asking me if the REFCLK has a closer relationship to the recovered clock than mentioned in the user guide.

Could this be possible: Using a fixed osc. with a frequ. of 100MHz as REFCLK. Receiving data with a variable datarate?

TXCLK= 50..100MHz (TX) ----- fiber ------> RXRECCLK = (50..100MHz), REFCLK=100MHz

Does the recovered clock has phase jumps, nice duty cycle etc - in other words: is it possible to use that clock as an input clock for an external clock synthesizer?

kind regards, thomas

Reply to
T. Irmen

clock

one word: NO

the initial CDR lock range is +-100ppm as per RocketIO/X datasheet

if you need to recover data with variable bit rate this maybe doable using rocketIO in raw serdes mode and doing oversampling. you need to sample about

4-5 times per data bit and you need custom data recovery circuitry.

Some xilinx application use that technology. For your application I guess its not suitable.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats