registers are not shown in waveform (xilinx microblaze)

Hello fpga community

I try to compile a testbench in order to observe the waveforms of the registers of microblaze. The problem is that i cannot see any set of MicroBlaze register waves (32 assigned mb registers) after the generation of the waveform screen (compile, simulate, run.. ).

Initializing a project in EDK, input microblaze and memory type ip's and trying to input adress values to be inserted from memory into Microblaze processor. I follow the standard procedure.. compiling, generating addresses - libraries - netlist, assign drivers, and heading to simulation through modelsim. Rest of waveforms are there (sets of mb, opb, lmb, debug, bram...). Can anyone provide me some help.

Thank you very much in advance.

Reply to
dartanian

"Free" vendor IP is usually provided as a black box netlist. Unless I buy the source code, or write my own, all I can see is the top port pins.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Hi,

Even if you had the source code it could be difficult to see the actual register file since it's implemented using LUTRAMs. The register file is spread out in 64 primitives.

I usually just look at the trace signals on MicroBlaze. There are signals for when MicroBlaze is writing a new value to the register file (the value, which register...) There is plenty of information in the trace signals to get a clue on what MicroBlaze is doing. The signals are described in the MicroBlaze reference guide.

I use these signals when I simulate and when I debugging in target using ChipScope.

Göran Bilski

Reply to
Göran Bilski