Regarding driving of SCL and SDA pins of I2C

Hi all,

This is a basic qustion regarding SDA and SCL pins. Since both these pins are bidirectional these should pins need to be tristated , so that the slave can acknowledge on SDA.

But i have seen in some docs that a '1' need to be converted to a 'Z' while driving on SDA and SCL, what is the reason behind this????

Thanks in advance, Praveen

Reply to
praveen.kantharajapura

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

well in order to drive '1' (EXERNAL RESISTIVE PULLUP) you need to Z the wire eg tristate it.

0 is driven as 0 1 is driven (or relased) as Z, ext pullup will pull the wire high

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

They're not tri-stated as such, merely a pull down or open collector output, with an external resistive pull-up. If using a micro or FPGA then set the output to a "0" and use the tri-state enable to turn the pin on or off.

Reply to
Fred

No, both pins are not bidirectional. Only the master device drives the SCK line, and all slaves must leave their SCK's as input.

As others have said, usually SCK and SDA have a 1-10k pullup resistor to Vdd. This makes the signal a 1 while no device is pulling a pin low. So set the output pin to a zero, and toggle it as being an input versus an output, to generate your digital signal.

Since SCK is never "tristated", you can just drive it as 0/1 output using the master device and omit the pullup resistor. Of course, the master device must be able to source and sink a few mA. The PIC line of microcontrollers have no problem doing this; the Atmels probably work the same.

Furthermore, if the Atmels have a pin which is "open collector output only", then that would work for SDA without needing to tristate it. Just set it as an output and "0" will pull SDA low, and "1" will release it (alowing the pullup resistor to make SDA "1".)

For power-hungry applications, you can increase the pullup resistors at the expense of speed and noise rejection. 100k works well for shielded, battery-powered applications.

Cheers, MCJ

Reply to
Mark Jones

Yes, they are.

Slaves can pull down SCL to 'wait state' traffic to match their own speed.

That's why it has to be open-collector.

No, this is seriously against the spec!

You should never drive it active high.

Otherwise slaves may be damaged when they try to wait-state the bus master.

I've heard this bad advice before - people say they get away with it, but they cannot say it obeys the I2C spec.

Reply to
Kryten

Not true, a slave device can extend a cycle through clock stretching and the only way to do that is for the slave device to be able to hold the clock line low.

be

Reply to
James Beck

Explain that to a Noob.

Please.

Reply to
Mark Jones

be

the SCK

I do not agree with u mark

If a slave can't receive or transmit another complete byte of data until it has performed some other function, for example servicing an internal interrupt, it can hold the clock line SCL LOW to force the master into a wait state.

'Z'

resistor to Vdd.

set the

output, to

using the

device must be

have no

output only",

it as an

the pullup

at the

Reply to
praveen.kantharajapura

be

'Z'

the wire

In order to drive a '1' , i will not tristate it to 'Z' i will drive a '1' only. Any issues(Hardware malfunction) if i drive a'1' instead of 'Z'

Reply to
praveen.kantharajapura

You can read a summary here:

But I recommend visiting the Philips site and downloading the specification:

You can probably safely ignore the multimaster and high-speed modes, but you should be aware of their existance. I personally don't know of anybody using high-speed mode, but it does make the I/O requirements more interesting.

-Keith

Reply to
Keith

You can find everything that you want to know at the Philips site:

I recommend that you download and read the specification first. You can probably safely ignore anything related to multimaster or high-speed mode, but be aware that these exist. They also have discussion forums where you can ask questions.

-Keith

Reply to
Keith

A slave device can use the clock as a primitive flow control mechanism.

If the slave takes some amount of time to process a byte, it can prevent the master from starting the next byte by simply holding the clock low. The master cannot clock the data until the clock is released by the slave.

I2C clocks are not really clocks, they are 'data valid' signals. They don't have to go at any a particular rate, and aren't constrained by anything except setup and hold times for the devices.

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Bob Monsen

You need a primer in I2C.

If you are the only master, and drive the SDA wire to 1, nothing bad will happen unless, the slave thinks it's supposed to ack at the wrong time, at which time you'll get a short between the master and slave. The standard specifies resistors you can add to keep the devices from getting damaged in this case.

However, you CANNOT drive SCL to 1, because a slave is allowed to hold you off by driving it low. You have to notice this, so driving it high is not going to work unless you make the clock slow enough so that the slave will never hold you off.

In most I2C applications, the bus and clock should only go high when nobody is pulling it low.

There are 'fast' modes of I2C which may not obey this restriction. However, a device starts off in the pullup mode, and then switches over, I believe.

--
Regards,
 Bob Monsen

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

YES, the other poster. The master should drive 0 and Z at least on the SDA pin and only in the case that there is no multimastering and no clock stretching it is ok to drive 0 and 1 on the SCL

antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Click on the link please. That's why I included it, or do you mean you don't understand what the link is explaining?

Reply to
James Beck