$recovery

Hi, I am doing FPGA design with xilinx spartan 3e. When I finished P&R, I checked the timing report. Everything is ok, and there is no timing violations. But when I run post simulation, the modelsim reports some timing errors for some registers with $recovery(...). I checked the time when these errors occur. They happened to be the time when reset is de-assertion. I tried to change reset period, but this time other register report $recovery/$setup/$hold errors. It is very strange because I have passed P&R, there is no timing violations, why does these errors orrur? Can anybody help me? thanks very much.

Reply to
skyworld

normally you wont have specified any time constraints on the reset signal... I aam assuming you have a global asynchronous reset.

To correctly manage the reset you should try to synchronise it to the internal clock using a couple of flip-flops. This way it ensures a synchronous release of the reset that can be treated and analysed in the same way as any other. I think you may still get the warnings for violations of the first asynchronous input.

Anyways, the idea of synchronous vs asynchronous reset is a long discussion =)

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd

So do you mean that I can ignore these warnings?

.=2E.

on

Reply to
skyworld

i'd say Yes...But make sure it's only teh asynchronous reset thats causing these problems, nothing else. And even then I recommend you have a look around for debates over synch vs asynch reset... it's one of these issues that is unpredictable, and can make your circuits really misbehave... Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd

=C2=B7=C3=96, "Benjamin Todd"

Thanks for your help.