real time FIR implementation in FPGA

hai,

I have stored my filter coefficients in FPGA.I have not stored my input samples it will directly given to the FPGA pin.My FPGA logic will wait for new input samples,accepts it,process it and then wait for the new sample..

from the above my filter is not operating at real time..what is the necessary change to operate at real time?how can i handle real time signal samples?do my fpga need to have software support?basically i am confused with real time signal input to fpga...

suppose i have a sine samples how it should inputted to fpga?

those who already implemented FIR clarify this got tired hitting google to get answers..

regards, raj

Reply to
raj

First you should take a look at the definition of "real-time" :

So if you design a hard real-time system, the main requirement is that your FPGA outputs some signal after some maximum time, after some input arrives. E.g. if you feed a signal every second and you specify, that the output must be available after one second and if your FPGA does this, it is operating at real-time.

If you have already samples (e.g. a 16 bit parallel signal), just feed it to the FPGA. Maybe the sampling clock would be a good idea, too.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

hai,

if you feed a signal every second and you specify, that the output must be available after one second and if your FPGA does this, it is operating at real-time

I don't know how to feed the samples to FPGA input pin as the samples are coming from outside the chip?what is the logic behind this?

For testing purpose i used a text file and dump my samples into it and given to the input of FPGA..the same task how can i do it in the board which has this FPGA?pls clarify the same

regards, raj

.

ems.de

Reply to
raj

If you say "the samples are coming from outside the chip", I assume you have already some digital signal source. Take a look at the description of the source, then solder the pins of the FPGA to the source (maybe after level converting) and implement the data processing in VHDL.

If you don't have digital signals, use a digital to analog converter (DAC) and take a look at the datasheet of the DAC how to handle the data in your FPGA.

Maybe I should filter gmail-postings :-)

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Correction: I mean analog to digital converter (ADC).

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss