Re: why so many problems Xilinx ?

I cannot understand that at all. If the question is ventilated in
public, it should be answered in public. Unless the answer is very
embarrassing...

Peter Alfke, Xilinx

Re: why so many problems Xilinx ?
embarrassing...

Often vendors don't want to seem like they are hawking their wares
here.  So I see nothing wrong with contact on a more personal level in
order to get a good answer to a question.  When your sales people make
calls on customers, they don't invite the competition to come along do
they?  Support is no different.  Why should the open the door for
kibitzing from the competition?  And maybe they will be revealing some
information that they don't want the competition to have.  I know that
Xilinx has been pretty tightlipped about their product schedules.  At
least I have had a very hard time getting that info until a couple of
weeks ago when I insisted that I needed it on the Spartan 3s.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: why so many problems Xilinx ?

I can guarantee you that neither Xilinx nor Altera harbors this kind of
girlish modesty.
But we must consider the audience, and avoid the BS.

I definitely will hawk the capabilities of the Virtex-II DCM and MGTs if
anybody ever asks for a related functionality. That's my job, and that's
what this ng is for, isn't it?
Peter Alfke

Re: why so many problems Xilinx ?

I don't really care how I get help.  When I have a question, I just want
an answer.  If they are more comfortable with email than the newsgroup,
I don't care.  Anything is better than the hotline or god forbid.. the
web site!

But I guess I should say that an open discussion here was what alerted
me to the modular configuration capability of ISE.  I have checked this
out on the web site several times and pretty much found nothing.  But
now I have at least one app note about how to use it and this will make
a very big difference in my device selection.  However I expect this
will require a lot of support since it seems a bit more complex than the
app note covers.  Can you recommend a point of contact for modular
configuration?  This is exactly the sort of thing I expect will be like
pulling teeth to get any real info on from the hotline.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: why so many problems Xilinx ?

It depends on how well your design fits into physical modules.  Some
designs are certainly more
complicated than what's described in the App Note.

Yes, I will check with a couple of our modular design experts and get
you a name.

Steve

Re: why so many problems Xilinx ?

It's like sex - can be embarrassing at first for the strongest
soul, but once you get the habit...  Someone at Altera should
take a vow to answer _every_ question for, say, a week.  We will
all applaud.

To paraphase Blackadder on airplanes:  "I treat my Usenet
questions like I treat my women.  Climb aboard twice a day
and fly them up to heaven."

Re: why so many problems Xilinx ?
embarrassing...

Embarrassment has nothing to do with it.  I personally think that this
newsgroup is the wrong place to attack the competitor's products -- in
general, I think both X & A are pretty well behaved, pointing out our strong
points instead of directly pointing out weaknesses in our competitor's
products.  In a personal email, there is much more freedom to say what I
feel like and to venture off into opinion from fact.  Plus, if I'm not 100%
sure, I can just say so and follow-up later when I find out the full answer;
in the newsgroup, you can look pretty silly when you do so (speaking from
experience...).

Most of us who post here from Altera are in the R&D side of the company, so
we're usually unaware of product positioning or the "company line" on
certain issues.  When in doubt, I rather just reply offline while I wait for
a response from the apps folks.

Regards,

Paul

Re: why so many problems Xilinx ?
I too have been contacted thru email everytime that my Altera ng
questions were not replied to in the group. Altera seemed to put alot
of thought into the answers. It would be nice if they replied to the
group to share the knowledge, except that maybe my questions were too
specific to be helpful to others.

-- Pete

Re: why so many problems Xilinx ?

Consider posting any solution that is useful to you.
I may be googling for it next week.

  -- Mike Treseler

Site Timeline