Re: Spartan-IIE LVDS?

> Hello! I'm trying to move 125 MB/sec bidirectionally off a daughter > card, for a total of 250 MB/sec. I worry that even if I double the 8 > bit bus in each direction to 16-bits (32 data pins todal) I'll still > be pushing a single-ended signal across a connector at 62.5 MHz. I > can't go wider because I run out of pins on my QFP. > > I've started looking at LVDS, but it seems that xilinx has very little > information on how to actually _use_ lvds in a project. National has > some great app notes, but they're largely targeted at the national > family of SERDES products. Can anyone offer any suggestions for > high-speed multi-board data transfer between FPGAs? Has anyone ever > tried building a SerDes in a spartan-IIE, and if so, what kinds of > speeds have you been able to get? > > Thanks for the help! > ...Eric
Reply to
Peter Alfke

I'm too poor to buy an IBIS simulator :) I've been reading all sorts of data sheets and app notes on LVDS that have made me worry about any sort of single-ended signals one can reliably send over a short bus. I read that PCI has really tight timings and is evidently really hard to design for; it's only 33 MHz. Sure, it's a bus with multiple cards, but AGP is a single card in a single slot, and only runs at 66 MHz. I feared that if "real" EEs (instead of us biologists that just play them when we need equiment that doesn't exist) don't want to push a card interconnect above 66 Mhz, there must be a good reason.

So I'm trying to figure out what I can reasonably expect from a

4-layer FR4 board and a 68-pin high-density mini-D connector. This is my first high-speed interconnect project, and it may just be paranoia. Are you suggesting I shouldn't lose too much sleep over a ~125 MHz single-ended bus covering a distance of 6" or so? or should I stick to differential signaling for those types of speeds? I'd love to just make my bus wider, but I run out of IOs on my Spartan-IIE PQFP and I can't afford to have someone put down a BGA on a PCB.

Ahh, the joys of low-cost student design ! :)

Thanks again for all the help, ...Eric

Reply to
Eric

Read the bible - "High Speed Digital Design", by Johnson and Graham !

Dave

Reply to
dave garnett
[snip]

[snip]

The hard part in "33 MHz" PCI is a 7 ns path on the PCI IRDY# and TRDY# control signals to output enables on the FPGA. So, instead of a "33 MHz" problem, you really have a 143 MHz" design challenge. The issue is related to propagation time within the FPGA and not related to signal integrity issues.

BTW, Spartan-IIE fully supports 66 MHz and 64-bit PCI and is available in a proven LogiCORE solution.

-------------------------------- Steven K. Knapp Spartan-3/II/IIE FPGAs

--------------------------------- Spartan-3: Make it Your ASIC

Reply to
Steven K. Knapp