Re: Problem configuring Cyclone

Matt, Generally speaking, this kind of problem indicates that the device did not correctly receive the preamble to the configuration bitstream, and therefore did not start to process the data. This explains why nSTATUS doesn't go low; the device has not yet started to look at the CRC for each frame of data.

The #1 reason for configuration issues is signal integrity issues on the DCLK signal. Even though it is running pretty slow, it's still a clock and therefore sensitive to ringing. The ringing causes double-clocking on the FPGA, so it sees a given bit twice. To diagnose this, probe at the DCLK on the Cyclone device as close as you can and observe the signal. If probing it makes it work, then it's signal integrity as the capacitance of the probe is damping the ringing. Or maybe you'll see ringing. Putting in a series termination at the microprocessor, or a parallel termination at the Cyclone, will generally solve this problem.

Other things to check:

- signal integrity on the DATA signal. Usually not a problem, but possible.

- When you send the data to the Cyclone, make sure you send each byte LSB first.

One of these is most likely the problem.

Sincerely, Greg Steinke snipped-for-privacy@altera.com Altera Corporation

I am trying to configure a Cyclone EP1C12 using a microprocessor. > Basically, I pull nConfig high, and wait for nStatus to go high. Once > it does, I start loading data. When it is done, I never get CONF_DONE > going to high indicate success. Also, I never get nStatus going low > again to indicate failure either. > > I've tried clocking in millions of zeros after my bitstream, but that > doesn't change anything. > > Any ideas? > > Thanks > Matt
Reply to
Greg Steinke

The problem turned out to be in the file I was sending. I was using an SOF, because I thought it was raw. Once I found the .rbf option, I switched to that, and it works now. I didn't find mention of this in appnote 250, which is on Cyclone configuration.

Thanks for your help. Matt

Reply to
Matt Ettus

Matt, Glad to hear that your configuration is working. Thanks for the feedback on App Note 250. We have since replaced this App Note with a chapter in the Cyclone Handbook. The link follows:

We have updated the file type descriptions in this new chapter. There's a section called "Device Configuration Files" which describes the file types.