Re: Parallel Port EPP in FPGA

Hi

I achieved only 550kBps, but I didn't do any soft emulation or negociation. If your port is set to epp/ecp, there's a register in the ecp configurations that changes the mode of the port to ecp, epp or spp. If your port is set to epp in the bios, it should allways be so...

Ricardo

> > > Yes, I have 2 commercial products using this. I get about 800 nS/byte > > with a short > > IEEE-1284 cable. Note that the PC EPP chips don't follow the IEEE-1284 > > standard, > > they don't delay the strobes, but present them about the same time as > > the data > > port changes. So, you have to apply delays to the strobes in your device. > > Then, you have to have the handshake signals bounce back through the cable > > twice (once to tell the CPU data is available, then the request from the CPU > > has to go away, then the remote device has to un-busy the bus.) > > I don't use any overhead software, but map to the port and control it > > directly > > with inline assembler directives in the C code for x86 INB and OUTB > > instructions. > > What are the products that you use? 800nsec/byte transfer rate is great > and will solve all my problems. Currently I get about 10usec/byte as I am > emulating the EPP protocol in SW. I have written a State-Machine in the > FPGA for implementing the EPP protocol but have not done the > EPP negotiation part. On the PC side acquisition software, all I did > was to write a user-level program that made use of the libieee1284 > functions. > > I am hoping that after implementing the negotiation in the FPGA, the EPP > protocol will run directly without having to emulate it in PC. > > My aim is to transfer 40KBytes/sec of data from FPGA to PC using parallel > port. > > Thanks,-Yash > > > > 1 Meg Byte/second is pretty ambitious, given the performance of the chips. > > If you have long blocks of data to transfer (several K bytes in one > > block) then > > the DMA mode of transfer may go a little faster. I haven't done this, > > as 20 bytes or > > so at a time is the most I can do with my particular device. > > > > What is the rate of data transfer you are getting now? What method are > > you using to access the parallel port? > > > > Jon
Reply to
EU

"Yash Bansal" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@viper.ece.ucdavis.edu...

using

communication

software

be

EPP

slow.

Hello Yash,

we reached about 500 Kbytes transfer rate using EPP mode for read or write. Half rate using PS2 (8-bit bi-dirctional mode) read or write mode and SPP(standard parallel port, byte out/nibble in) write mode. Quarter rate at SPP read mode. We used Win2000 and a none PCI based parallel port chip at the PC side (standard at PC mainboards). Using a parallel port based on a PCI card, transfer rate could be up to 450 Kbytes using PS2 mode, but implementing EPP mode can be hard (if it ever works). Seems to be chip dependent, and we didn´t get good support from PCI chip manufacturer. Hint: do not set port to ECP or ECP/EPP mode, better set it to EPP mode (via PC BIOS).

good luck,

Peter Seng

############################# SENG digitale Systeme GmbH Im Bruckwasen 35 D 73037 Göppingen Germany tel +7161-75245 fax +7161-72965 eMail snipped-for-privacy@seng.de net

Peter Seng