Re: How to use the EXT_CLK_P and EXT_CLK_N pins of Virtex II Pro (XC2VP30, package ff896) ?

Hi,

> I need to take out two square wave signals from the Virtex II Pro FPGA > board(XC2VP30, package ff896) with good signal shape and less jitter > value. The frequency of the two square wave signals are around 40MHz > and one is the delayed version of the other. I am trying to evaluate > the performance of a delay generator block inside the FPGA. Hence, the > shape and precision of the delays is of greater importance to me. I > have tried to take the signals through various pins on the board > including the high speed expansion connector. But I found that only > when the signals are routed out through the EXT_CLK_P(G15) and > EXT_CLK_N(F15) pins, the jitter performance is the best. But there is > a funny thing happening when I observe the two waveforms on a scope. > Below are the two cases. Looks like, when the signal levels of the two > signals are different, the signal with ZERO logic goes up to around > 0.2*Vsupply and at the same time the signal with logic '1' goes down > by around 0.2Vsupply. Can anybody suggest how can I avoid such a > situation? I feel there is some sort of resistor coupling between > these two signals. But, can I =A0disable this coupling by changing some > setting in the ucf file? This is the entry in the ucf file > corresponding to the two pins mentioned above. > > NET "clk_in_copy" =A0LOC =3D "G15" | IOSTANDARD =3D LVTTL =A0| SLEW =3D F=

AST |

DRIVE =3D 12 ; > #EXTERNAL_CLOCK_P=3DG15 > > NET "op_from_delay_chip_copy" =A0LOC =3D "F15" | IOSTANDARD =3D LVTTL | S=

LEW

=3D FAST | DRIVE =3D 12 ; > #EXTERNAL_CLOCK_N=3DF15 > > Please suggest a way to set these signals such that the coupling > between these two signals is nullified and I can use them as two true > single ended outputs. > > Here is an illustration of the case.https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webUp=load?uname=3Dpratap.iisc&aid=3D56081... > > Waiting for some helpful answers. > Thanks and regards, > Pratap

Sorry...The link for the picture was wrogly pasted...Here is the correct link.

Pratap

FAST |

SLEW

=3DGv1sRgCMjQ...- Hide quoted text -

Based on the names these are intended to be a differential pair. This means that they have been routed close together on the board and will have intentional coupling/crosstalk between the two routed nets. In addition there is likely a 100 ohm termination resistor between the two nets that is generating the bump that you are seeing.

The resistor could be removed, you will need to check the schematics for you board to determine which one it is.

The crosstalk however cannot be removed.

Ed McGettigan

-- Xilinx Inc.

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

me

=3D FAST |

| SLEW

=3DGv1sRgCMjQ...Hide quoted text -

Thanks a lot McGettigan for the quick answer. I checked the board again and found out that there was indeed an SMD resistor soldered from the bottom side creating this impact. After removing that resistor it looks nice. The crosstalk is not that much as I am operating at around 40MHz. But one thing I am wandering is, how only these two outputs are behaving so well where as none of the other pins (even some pins taken from high speed expansion connector J37) produce such clean and less jittery waveforms.

-Pratap

Reply to
Pratap

PGA

the

is

.

two

some

=3D FAST |

TL | SLEW

ue

ey=3DGv1sRgCMjQ...quoted text -

The most likely answer is that you are getting a good connection for the scope probe and a bad one trying to connect to the other connector.

Ed McGettigan

-- Xilinx Inc.

Reply to
Ed McGettigan