Re: Blast from the past

You might want to also crosspost to comp.arch.fpga.

It's probably been over 20 years since I've used Aplus--was it 1984, or > 1985? > > If you can post a snippet of the code, perhaps someone can translate? > > JTW > >>I came across an ADF (Altera Desgn Format) file from an Altera EPLD. >> Does anyone out there know of a syntax primer on this dead HDL >> format? For those playing at home, this is an HDL from Altera that >> came with the A+PLUS software. Yes, I can convert it to more modern >> formats, but first I need to understand it. >> >> TIA! > >
Reply to
jtw

If you only want to use ADF files in Quartus, here is description of the whole conversion procedure (that involves MaxPlus-II too)

For total re-write, I've got no idea :-(

regards

Dejan

Reply to
Dejan

I saw this, but it doesn't tell how to understand the code. There's all sorst of strange constructs like:

OUTPUT =3D NORF(OUTPUT.d, SYSCLK, RESET, GND)

Which I assume is a DFF with a preset and clear, but I can't be sure unless I have documentation.

There are other constructs like: X =3D RORF() X =3D COCF() X =3D RONF() X =3D CONF()

There are also logic equations

X.d =3D !Y & Z # Q

Which I assume is X.d =3D ((not Y) and Z) or Q algebraically.

hole conversion

Reply to
CTSportPilot

whole conversion

The macrocells in the Altera CPLDs are registers with or without feedback and even with or without a direct output. I believe these primitives are for the output select from the logic and the register.

While the NORF() with the list is similar to ordered lists in other languages, you'd need a list of primitives to understand precisely what each entry is. In the case of the NORF, by inspection the first entry is the output connected to the D input of a declared register such as a DFFE (D flip-flop with enable). The ports on declared items are referred to by NAME.port and here, again, the primitive definitions tell you precise syntax.

I think the language allows both forms - declared elements as well as the ordered-list function form - such that the NORF could have been declared in a primitive list and the connections referred to as NAME.o, NAME.clk, NAME.rst and NAME.clr.

I cut my teeth on AHDL in 1988 and haven't used it in well over a decade.

If you have other specifics, air them. If I can't recall, I have another engineer here that declares AHDL as one of his competencies.

- John_H (from comp.arch.fpga)

Reply to
John_H

whole conversion

Googling for "Altera+NORF"

The first link came up the following PDF file from Texas A&M which might give you some more clues.

Page 14 says that NORF=3DNo output registered feedback, CONF=3DCombinatorial output, no feedback. Page 17 lists RONF, nothing on COCF, but based on what it has I would expect it to be a combinatorial output with combinatorial feedback.

The next few Google link are to "The Church Heraldry of Norfolk: A Description of All Coats of Arms" "JSTOR: Violence and the Exercise of Feudal Guardianship" "Sir Robert Lovett of Liscombe"

So I think the pickings are rather slim on this niche. Happy sleuthing.

Kevin Jennings

Reply to
KJ

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! This at least gets me most of the way there.

I tried googling "norf", but didn't try the combination with Altera. Thanks!

NORF

Reply to
CTSportPilot

What is the device, and do you have any fitter map/report files, or only the source code ?.

The link given earlier uses MAX+II as a stepping stone, to convert ADF to tdo to TDF

Boolean Eqn porting should be relatively easy, often that support is still in the tool flows. Device specific configs would need some work.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I finally recieved a reference manual from Altera about the syntax of ADF. (Although it lacks truth tables, which forces me to make some assumptions) If any one needs a copy of this, let me know.

One thing I saw was that the T flip flops have inputs. Why?!?

Reply to
CTSportPilot

Sorry about the reply to my own message. I should have known the T input wsas the toggle control. Bleck!

Reply to
CTSportPilot