Re: BGA packages in high vibration environments

> Alessandro Strazzero wrote: > >> > >>Anyone have any experience of BGA's (especially fine pitch types) in high > >>vibration environments? Is there a more appropriate newsgroup for this > >>topic? > > > > It strongly depends from your vibration requirements. > > > > I currently use electronic boards installed into railway equipments which use > > BGA components, and they are conforme to the European Union railway equipment > > manifacturing specification > > Hi Alessandro, > are there any specifications on the vibration ? > Frequency, amplitude, pattern ? > Perhaps a defined testing procedure ?

This thread might do well in comp.arch.fpga. There are several FAEs there who love digging into just this sort of issue.

I have crossposted there.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Xpost 2 cae and caf, no Fup.

Hallo,

"Geoffrey Mortimer" wrote:

Actually that's a very hot topic as BGA seems to get usual in the world of FPGAs and ASICs. I know that our mechanical engineers allready research on this topic, as we are very likely to have some fine pitch BGA in a high vibration environment in future. I would guess, that you should ask in some mechanical newsgroups as well. A big problem using FBGA is the test, wether you connected all balls proberly [1], as you have no chance of easy visual inspection.

bye Thomas

[1] in a mechanical aspect. Of course you get a quick answer if one IO has no electrical connection.
--
Don't answer to the email in from, use thomas[at] for
PM.

I recently saw a product that allows visual inspection of the solder balls on a mounted BGA. It is a fiber optic microscope and has tiny fiber probes that can run between the balls. I'll look for the info if anyone is interested.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Followup to: By author: rickman In newsgroup: comp.arch.fpga

A lot of people seem to do X-ray inspection, which I guess could be considered "visual" in some way.

-hpa

--
 at work,  in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.

Rick,

I'd certainly be interested in more info on the fiber microscope you mentioned. Debugging designs with lots of big BGAs is tough enough without wondering whether it's an assembly issue or not, and traditional xray techniques are good for showing shorts, but no so good for opens ...

----- R> >

high

Reply to
Ron Huizen

There's also JTAG tools that can read and write arbitrary values to I/O pins. Roughly $1K for benchtop systems, $10K for a production tester. If the BGA is hooked to other chips with JTAG, you can make a rather complete test.

And of course there's traditional bed-of-nails, not used much due to cost of implementing on proto hardware.

Dave Kinsell

Reply to
David Kinsell

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. The original contact was ASG at

They make the IS-1000 which gets under the BGA from what I can see. So you can see each and every ball. But you should get a demo since the sales pictures don't clearly indicate if they are looking at the edge row of balls or an inner row.

With a google search I found this -

They seem to make a similar product, but the web page is not too clear if they are just looking at it from the outside.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.