Re: beginner - exisit some free schematics programmer for fpga ?

Hi all i am new in the group, i am a italian student of computer science and

> i have hobbies for electronics, too... so i have using PIC, St6/7 > microcontroller, etc.. now my dream is develop some circuit with fpga (or > similar) and VHLD language. I have just a bit studing (only teorically) VHDL > in my university, but now i would REALLY program some chip for develop some > simple and medium project. > I have not money (and i don't want :-) ) to buy some original developing > system, so i would home build some free "programmer" (in-circuit JTAG ???) > how i have do in pass for PIC / St6/7 programmers :-) >

You'd be better off on comp.arch.fpga, for the actual hardware questions - I've crossposted to there and set the followups to go there also.

Regarding programming hardware, Altera have the Byteblaster schematics downloadable from their site, in the Byteblaster datasheet. I can;t recall if Xilinx have similar.

Thank you very much to all friends, and sorry for my very bad and poor > english language :-) >

It's better than my Italian!

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK

and

(or

VHDL

some

???)

If you hunt around on the web you can still finds the schematics for the old Xilinx Downloaders.

Reply to
Simon Peacock

Hi Martin,

Maybe the Chameleon POD can be a good start point for you.

That's an small dongle with inside CPLD Coolrunner. You can use it for programming almost all processor on the market (From ARM, PPC to AVR and coldFire, ...) or you can customize the POD by your own VHDL code (I2C controller, PWM generator, motor control, ...).

A great solution for small VHDL designs.

All software is free.

Regards, Laurent

Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch

and

(or

VHDL

some

???)

Ok, now i am here :-))

Ok thank i have found ByteblasterMV's datasheet

is it correctly ? I have found also a PCB and more at
and i that it can interest at somebody... and i have found a old article "Build your own ByteBlaster" from old mirror of "FreeCore Library" at
't%20tell%20you.htm

but i am also interessed to Xilix cpld and fpga so somebody know if exist some free programmer like type for Altera chips ?

Thank you very much ALL

ahahahah :-)

ciao ciao :-)

Reply to
Plenolo

't%20tell%20you.htm

Hi Plenolo,

the Xilinx download cable has been discussed in a lot of threads in this group. The download cable is officially called "Parallel Cable III" by Xilinx. Search for this term on the their web site and you will get a lot of results including a link to the schematic. If you need only JTAG (sufficient for most cases) you can even simplify the design and go along with one 74HC125, some caps and resistors and a D-SUB connector. Here at my university we've built lots of these cables and they all work fine.

Good luck, Jens

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------- For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install, fast, efficient and reliable. Run a million users on a standard PC running NT or Unix without running out of power, use the best!

---- See

----

Reply to
Jens Hildebrandt