Re: Ball-park price of Xilinx Virtex 7 FPGA?

I understand that the price depends on the volume etc

> but I would like to know the per unit price of Virtex 7 FPGA.. > Any guesses..

Search for XC7V on

And better sit down before checking...

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

There are too many variables (device, package, speed grade, volume, delivery date, etc..) involved in pricing for any simple answer. Contact your local Xilinx sales rep and they would be happy to sit down and discuss your needs and come up with the right pricing that matches your situation.

Using online pricing data for 1-10 parts today will not be reflective of 1K-10K pricing 18 months from now.

Ed McGettigan

-- Xilinx Inc.

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

No online availability for now. Prices last time I checked was up to 50 k$...

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

The prices indicated are for trays? How to identify a tray or single device from the part number ? And how do we know how many parts are there in one tray ?

Reply to
jkrshnan.v

Now 5k is a starting point...

The prices are per part...

Uwe Bonnes

A quick DigiKey search showed a range of $2,583.75 (XC7VX330T-1FFG1157C) to $39,452.40 (XC7V2000T-G2FLG1925E). These won't end up in any of my designs any time soon.

--
Gabor
Reply to

REALLY! 1900 balls, and all of them have to solder perfectly or the chip has to come off and be re-balled! Arghhhh! I'd LOVE to know who is actually USING chips that expensive. Must be the military in those $500 Million airplanes.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

if it does the job of an asic that would require a million dollar NRE and you only need 20 it's a bargain

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I suspect the financial community as well. They will pay extraordinary money to shave milliseconds off transaction times. Yes, they do encode financial algorithms into FPGA hardware.

One well known example of their ability to spend money is that one company spent $300m laying a transatlantic cable to reduce the RTT of 65ms by 6ms.

Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner wrote: (snip)

Must not have read "Wait: the art and science of delay."

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

but for some reason they say that them making billions manipulating prices by moving numbers around milliseconds faster than everyone else is an essential service to society

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Financial markets are much like the colon; at some point there stops being an upside to increasing liquidity.

Rob Gaddi

... can't meet SEU numbers in an airplane with /one/ of those. You'd need a couple!

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Doyle

(snip, regarding financial timins)

You should read the book for the full details, but there was a group that moved the whole operation closer to New York, and then found that faster isn't always better.

The whole story of the book is that faster isn't always better, and you should know when it might not be better.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

As I understand it, they say they are going to move billions - and then withdraw a few ms later. This allows them to gauge the way the market is going. Or something.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Xilinx's traditional market for high-end parts has been ASIC hardware co-simulation / prototyping. Maybe as a part of that $1M NRE it's not such a big hit to buy one or two of these.

As for the number of balls, I haven't seen any indication that soldering failure rates go up in relation to the number of balls in a BGA, at least with the contract manufacturers that we use. And the re-balling expense for these would still be a lot less that buying a new part...

--
Gabor
Reply to

One place I worked at used a very expensive Xilinx device (not sure just how bad it was, I think $1,500 in around 2000) when only 20% was being used. Room for expansion in a $100,000 product. It was test equipment and I think they only sold a couple of handfulls.

--

Rick C
Reply to

No only do prices vary on a lot of factors, prices are *always* cheaper (sometimes *much* cheaper) if you give them a design win using their new product line. They barely care about new sockets using old parts, even one generation old. It's all about paying for the NRE on the new product line. If you are buying even just 10k per year, you can get a great discount typically, much better than the online prices.

--

Rick C
Reply to