Re: ANNOUNCE:-- TimingAnalyzer Free Version -- Draw timing diagrams

[...]

> For all the talk of enhancing the user's experience it seems obvious > to me that MS don't give a shit about users.

Have you ever met Tux? :)

-- % Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace, %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % and kiss her interface, %%% 919-577-9882 % til then, I'll leave her alone." %%%% % 'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO

Randy Yates

I prefer Beastie myself. Shackleton had the right idea about penguins. ;-)

Seriously though the situation on Unix platforms is getting worse by the minute. 10-15 years the toolkit wars were over and Motif was the winner. Most apps were shifting to Motif and CDE was coming to further standardise the UI.

However, as soon as Linux started to gain traction things started to deteriorate again, quite probably becasue Motif wasn't free. Now you need any number of different toolkits to cover a broad range of apps and things like Gnome and KDE are far more substantial bits of code than anything that went before. The net result is that each app has a completely different appearance, works in a different way, and the whole assembly is one great waste of memory and processor time.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

Who considers anything but the "latest and greatest" to be outdated? This group is supposedly intelligent and familiar enough with computing to make decisions about "upgrading". If newer products don't offer anything in valued improvements, ignore them.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

... snip ...

Seriously consider Linux, especially Ubuntu. You do have a choice. A better choice.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.

CBFalconer

You do. I have successfully installed Fedora 8 on an HP Pavillion DV9620US.

However one thing to be careful of in running linux on laptops is Broadcom's stubborn refusal to open up their wireless card specifications so that open source drivers can be developed. Translated: don't buy a laptop with a Broadcom wireless card (or chipset) if you want to run linux on it. Atheros I've heard is very good and supported by madwifi.org.

But, even though Broadcom is stubborn, I have still been successful at getting the card to work on my home network. Unfortunately the reverse engineered drivers (b43-fwcutter...) do not seem to support the Master modes used in public hotspots.

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool -
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..."

Here is what I found on that madwifi.org: " The About/HAL: Hardware Abstraction Layer. All access to the hardware has to go thru this closed source component which is maintained by Atheros. Unfortunately there is no documentation for it except the public interfaces in hal/ah.h."

I can understand they want to have something working with linux, but I definitely lose all sympathy when those of the "open source" community begin to get involved in the wifi secrecy scenario. It is not just hypocrytic, it is of course fuelling the monopoly over wifi related software. I would much rather have something with closed sources but documented rather than open source here and there and closed key parts. If such cooperation to blackmail companies (like MS and those making wifi parts usable only for MS) is OK with linux and GNU then they should certainly shut up with their claim about openness.

Didi