Questions about clocks on the Cyclone Nios development board

I have a Cyclone Nios development board, which I'm using for some test development work. The clocking system on the board seems very strange to me - I'm wondering if it *is* strange, or if I've just misunderstood things. The board has a 50 MHz oscillator that is used to generate the base clock for the fpga and a signal out to the prototyping cards. That's fair enough. However, there is only one available clock signal out of the fpga, which is then passed through an external clock buffer to generate clocks to the prototype cards and a feedback signal to the fpga. I find this painfully limiting, and can't think of a good reason why the card is designed this way. It means I have to use the same clock signal to both prototype connectors, and it means that the feedback signal used for the sdram pll comes from this same clock. In my design, I want the processor to run at 60 MHz, while the external clock to the prototype cards is at 50 MHz. This means that the sdram pll must generate its 60 Mhz signal from a 50 MHz feedback, independantly from the main 60 MHz system clock. The phases for these clocks are therefore not determined - sometimes my sdram works, sometimes not. Is there something I'm missing here, or is it just a strange card design?

-- David

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Reply to
David Brown