question about high speed serial links with clock forwarding in Virtex5 FPGAs

Hi,

I have read several appnotes about serial interfaces in Xilinx FPGAs. Most of them use a DCM on the receiving side to phase shift and/or multiply the incoming clock. My problem is that I don't have any global clock pins available, only clock capable. So when I use a DCM, XST gives me an error that I am using a non-optimal IOB site for clock input. The error can be reduced to a warning be setting a constraint that allows the non-optimal clock input.

What are the implications of using the non-optimal IOB for clock input? Would it be better to try to find a solution that does not include a DCM in the receiver?

Reply to
magne.munkejord

Hello,

If you do not use a global clock input, then the worst case skews and delays are no longer guaranteed.

If you use the phase shift in the DCM to find the center of the "eye" in order to sample the received data, this means a single fixed phase shift value may not work for all silicon.

If you use the variable "find the center" design which sets the phase shift for each device after a training interval, then this will always find the best sampling point, and the added skew or delay of using a non-global input will not matter.

Austin

Reply to
austin