Quartus project files

I have a project which started with MP2 w. Leonardo and was converted by several versions of Quartus (including several new file types). With Quartus 4.2 I thought the project merely consists of proj.qpf and proj.qsf. Having all the assignments in the .qsf file. However, when I compiled the project with the other 'old' project files removed it resulted in a different solution (fmax was 95MHz instead of 100MHz). Adding the proj_assignment_defaults.qpf back to the project I got the original result. So the question is: What's this xxx_as._def.qpf for?

Martin

---------------------------------------------- JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs:

Martin Schoeberl

With QII 4.0, all assignments were consolidated into a single file the qsf, instead of being stored in several different files (csf, psf, ssf, fsf) etc. Also as part of QII 4.0, default values of assignments were no longer stored in the qsf file. In the past all defaults were stored in the csf file.

Instead defaults for converted projects were stored in the qdf file in the project directory, with the name being _assignment_defaults.qdf. Therefore projects which have been converted from older (i.e before Quartus II 4.0)will have a qdf file in their project directory.

When assignments are resolved the default values specified in _assignment_defaults.qdf have a higher priority than those specified in quartus\bin\assignment_defaults.qdf. Therefore when you removed the _assignment_defaults.qdf file some of the values of your default settings would have changed, and this explains the change in results. If you look at the file quartus\bin\assignment_defaults.qdf you will find a history of the default changes between releases from 4.1 onwards. An example of the comments in the QII 4.2 assignmnet_defaults.qdf file is:

# Default value changes # # In 4.2, the default value of assignment DO_MIN_ANALYSIS has changed to "OFF" # In 4.1, the default value of assignment FITTER_EFFORT has changed to "Auto Fit"

Hope this helps, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Mart> I have a project which started with MP2 w. Leonardo and was converted

by

Quartus 4.2

Having all the assignments

files removed it resulted

original result.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

So the cleanest way to handle this would be to identify the change of the defaults that caused my difference and add this assignment to the 'regular' project file and remove the _assignment_defaults.qpf.

Martin

---------------------------------------------- JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs:

"Subroto Datta" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Martin Schoeberl

Yes, that is the preferred way. Change the default to what is appropriate and then remove the qdf file from your project directory. Quartus 4.1 and higher has the feature that if defaults change in a new version you will be informed when you open the project the first time with the new version.

Hope this helps, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Mart> So the cleanest way to handle this would be to identify the change of

the defaults

project file and

the

ssf,