Quartus II 4.2 Incremental Systhesis

I am currently using the evaluation open-core FIR compiler and NCO compiler
in the design and when I use these I am not able to perform incremental
synthesis. Does anyone know if you can perform incremental synthesis with
these cores once the cores are licensed? as synthesis steps are taking
upwards of 20-30 minutes at the moment and it is becoming quite painful not
having incremental systhesis.

Regards,

Paul Solomon

Re: Quartus II 4.2 Incremental Systhesis
Hi Paul,

You _should_ be OK with the licensed cores as well. The only difference
between the licensed and the unlicensed version is the Big Counter that
will shut the core down after an hour.

Better yet, in Quartus II 5.0 (out since June - why are you still on 4.2?)
you should also be able to do incremental P&R of your design.

This last bit may or may not cost you a bit of performance as the design
optimization is hindered by the fitting boundaries, but it should save you
loads of time between iterations.

Best regards,

Ben

Re: Quartus II 4.2 Incremental Systhesis
Hello Paul and Ben,

In Quartus II 4.2 you will need a license for your encrypted core so
that you can compile it successfully with Incremental Compilation. This
restriction will be removed in Quartus II 6.0.

Alternatively in Quartus II 5.0 if you do not have a license one can
use Incremental Compilation and set all PARTITION_SOURCE settings to
POST_SYNTHESIS for the core.

Hope this helps,
Subroto Datta
Altera Corp.