Quartus II 2.2 smart compile ignoring .mif

I'm having a very odd problem... Quartus II (2.2) has started ignoring .mif file changes on me when doing "smart compile", which requires me to sit for 20 minutes and recompile the whole design for a simple memory change.

The really weird part is that this is new behaviour -- I have one project on which this works beautifully and it was a major assistance debugging that design, but on a different (somewhat larger) project, it doesn't work at all -- Quartus seems to just ignore the .mif file changes and happily produces bitstream files with all the old memory contents.

Is there a hidden option somewhere? I have added all the .mif files as project files; it doesn't seem to affect this behaviour.

-hpa

P.S. Upgrading to Quartus 3.0 is not an option due to the changes in platform requirements.

--
 at work,  in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.