Quartus for linux

Hi !

I'm lookink for a quartus web edition for Linux.

I read some news but I don't manage to find if a such version exist.

If it exists, where can I download it ? ( on altera website, I see quartus 4 bus this version doesn't work under linux).

Thank's a lot,

-- Laurent

Reply to
lbroto

lbroto wrote: : Hi !

: I'm lookink for a quartus web edition for Linux.

: I read some news but I don't manage to find if a such version exist.

: If it exists, where can I download it ? ( on altera website, I see : quartus 4 bus this version doesn't work under linux).

As Altera (like Xilinx) uses Mainwin as porting Library, they have to pay Mainwin for every license they give out. So you need to buy the linux Software. Ask the distributor about the version...

I'd wish they would use wine and talk to Codeweavers/WineX about maintanance. Their software mostly works already with wine used as an emulator...

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Does anyone have experience with running the Quartus Web Edition on Linux?

We are considering making a hobbyist FPGA board, and we are considering both Xilinx and Altera, but the design software will need to be gratis and run on GNU/Linux. I have the Xilinx WebPACK running on GNU/Linux using Wine (command line only but that's enough), but I have found no information yet on doing the same with Quartus.

I think I'll just try to get it running...

Marius Vollmer

: > lbroto wrote: : >

: > : I'm lookink for a quartus web edition for Linux. : >

: > I'd wish they would use wine and talk to Codeweavers/WineX about : > maintanance. Their software mostly works already with wine used as an : > emulator...

: Does anyone have experience with running the Quartus Web Edition on : Linux?

: We are considering making a hobbyist FPGA board, and we are : considering both Xilinx and Altera, but the design software will need : to be gratis and run on GNU/Linux. I have the Xilinx WebPACK running : on GNU/Linux using Wine (command line only but that's enough), but I : have found no information yet on doing the same with Quartus.

: I think I'll just try to get it running...

There are some hack's needed. They are not clean and were not applied by the wine source code mantainer. No clean solution was found yet.

Another problem is some slight problem with Wine's MSVCRT implementation. When you managed to get Quartus going and run a project, it will go a long way, but then it finds data corruption and aborts. Running with native MSVCRT doesn't show that problem, but neither Xilinx nor Quartus distributes the redistributable MSVCRT with there package.

As Altera uses FlexLM for license control, it is harder to get going the Xilinx. Try first to set up the license control, even running the Quartus license with FlexLM for Linux and pointing the Wine Quartus session to that license server will work ( even tunnelling via ssh).

Another thing to consider is that the Altera Quartus license is only valid for half an year. While it looks like this will not change, no one will guarantee.