pull-ups and jtag questions

Hi, I have to establish a 50MHz serial communication with a Spartan3, so:

1) should I place termination resistors on data_in, data_out or clock pins? Value? 2) could I use somehow DCIs (I'm working with LVCMOS33 standard)? then on the pull-up/down: 3) which JTAG pins should I pull-up? With 10KOhms? 4) I'll need to use serial mode (slave or master) also on the configuration stage, so I could harware fix the mode pins as I'll always be able to connect with the JTAG, no matter how the pins mode are set, right? Thanks, Marco
Reply to
Marco
3) usually doesnt matter at all 4) yes and no. JTAG config overrides the mode settings, but there are cases where JTAG configuration fails unless tricks are made (changing mode as example). Basically there is some 'critical time slot' in the JTAG config sequence, if in that time the FPGA sees a valid SYNC on serial config then the JTAG config gets confused and weird things happen (can happen).

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Marco

The need for termination resistor depends upon alot of things, though it is not that complicated. you will need to terminate the signal if the rise time divided by the propagation speed (rise time / propagation speed) is greater than one sixth of the pcb track length (different people may use different ratios but i will stick with what i learnt and know to work). the termination resistor value will depend upon the track imedance, when laying out the pcb try and ensure the tracks all have same impedance regardless of the layer they are on (this involves varying the trace widths on different layers during layout). You then have a choice of termination schemes A.C termination is good and can save power, while series (source) termination is also useful. There are packagesavailable that will determine if you need termiantion for your traces hyperlinx is one of the best. If you are ussure you could always add the pads and not fit the resistors, it easier that way

hope this helps

Ad

Reply to
Ad

Antti,

3) why it doesn't matter? I saw several schemes with pull-ups, sometimes with different configurations (someone placed on TCK and TMS, others on TDI... that's why I ask) 4) for the prototype I should go with a 3-element-dip-switch toward GND to be safe?

Ad, I think I'll place on the 3 pins a 0 Ohm resistance and I'll replace it with a 22 Ohm or other values if I'll see I need it. Do you agree? Would you place terminations only on 1 or 2 of these 3 pins?

Thanks, Marco

Reply to
Marco

Marco

placing the 0 ohm links is a good idea make sure you place them correctly for source termination these resistors should be placed inline with the signal and near the output driver, for ac termination the resistors need to be placed near the destination of the signal to ensure you get the correct resistor / schematic i would suggest a quick google search on termination schemes.

regards

Ad

Reply to
Ad