Problems with a Virtex-II Engineering Sample

Hello all,

We are currently doing a project where we would like to evaluate the advantages of the PPC405 hard processor core in the Virtex-II Pro FPGA compared to the Microblaze soft core. We've got the Microblaze up and running but we are struggling to get the PPC to execute any code.

The chip is an Engineering Sample:

Virtex-II Pro XC2VP7 FF672ALB0237 D127316A

6C-ES

The program is a very simple one - just trying to get a diod on the board to flash. In our EDK project, under S/W settings, we are unable to select Mode - Executable. XmdStub is pre-selected and grayed out. Therefore we suspect that the code is compiled to run in a debugging mode. After the circuit has been programmed through the JTAG interface (thus the JTAG is properly connected and working) we try to use the XMD debugger to connect to the PPC405 JTAG port. (We've tried to connect both directly to the PPC405 JTAG and to the normal JTAG chain). XMD then presents us with an error message:

ERROR: Unable to connect to PowerPC target. Invalid Prcessor Version No

0x00000000 Unable to establish connection to the PowerPC target. Make sure the PPC405 JTAG signals are connected to the JTAGPPC primitive and the cable connections are correct.

The question is - is it possible to get EDK to compile the code to execute straight away without the need of a debugger and JTAG connection? If not, any suggestion on what might be wrong is highly appreciated. Could the error message have anything to do with the fact that we're using an Engineering Sample of the chip?

Best Regards,

Jonas Floden Bjorn Saete

Reply to
Jonas Floden

Tjena,

Yes, The executable can be directly merged into the bitfile, if your executable is running from internal BRAM. If you run out of external memory, you need to download executable to the external memory.

How did you create your system? Did you use the Base System Builder?

Göran Bilski

J> Hello all,

Reply to
Goran Bilski

Hejsan,

We created the system in Platform Studio (was unable to use BSB because we've got a custom board) and added the required components and ports according to the tutorial on

A few modification were made but we are pretty sure we got this bit right. We reckon the main problem is that Platform Studio won't let us select "executable" under S/W Settings -> Mode. Well, actually it can be selected, but if you go "OK" and then check again it is back to "XmdStub". Is it the case that if XmdStub is selected, then the program will not execute without the debugger? How can this be changed?

The program is included in the bitfile through the "Update Bitstream" option in XPS.

Many thanks for any replies,

executable is running from internal BRAM.

external memory.

Reply to
Jonas Floden

F19AEF520806E86FB2EF70C5 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Hi,

im currently trying to config a virtexII (xc2v2000) by the slave selectMap mode via a vme interface.

the fpga react fine the stimuli on the prog_b signal (init goes low and back to to high )

then i set rdwr_b to low, present the first data byte (oxff) and set then cs_b to low

the busy signal is low also cclk is low

the i generate one cclk cycle 010 (very slow rate, 8µs high periode )

shortly before the cclk signal goes again to low, the busy signal is be asserted (high) by the fpga and will only be de-asserted after deselect the fpga (cs_b = high)

the configuration fails

Any idea to solve this problem ?

Regards

andreas

Reply to
wa11

Jonas, I'm assuming you are using EDK 6.2. The mode of XMDSTUB v/s EXECUTABLE can be selected on per application basis. Go to the Sw Applications tab in the left column and for your application, right click --> Compiler Options.

In this dialog box,you will fix option to choose between xmdstub and executable mode.

Amit

J> Hello all,

Reply to
Amit Kasat

Hello,

unfortunately we have edk 6.1, where that tab doesn't exist.

// Jonas

Reply to
Jonas Floden

I've had this exact problem. Here's how I solved it. I'm using version

6.2 of the Xilinx ISE and EDK.

Make sure you are downloading the bootloop application to the PowerPC target during development. When you download a user application that enables interrupts and then try and connect to the PowerPC with XMD the PowerPC may have already wedged itself (especially if your code is incorrect). Once I initialized the target with a bootloop to execute and then later used XMD to download my interrupt supported code did the error go away.

Zach Pfeffer

Zach Pfeffer

Thank you for your information.

Am I correct that a bootloop application would bee something as simple as

loop: b loop

and be placed at address 0xFFFFFFFE (the start address for the PPC405)

How would I do that? Do I need to do it manually? We are using EDK and ISE version 6.1

Cheers

// Jonas

Reply to
Jonas Floden

Ok, this is how I eventually solved it

bootloop.asm: loop: b loop

powerpc-eabi-as bootloop.asm -o boot.o powerpc-eabi-ld -e 0xFFFFFFFC -Ttext 0xFFFFFFFC -l /ppc405_0/lib -o bootloop.elf

data2bram -bm /implementation/system.bmm

-bd bootloop.elf -bt /implementation/system.bit

-o b download.bit -p

And then the JTAG connection worked! Tnx for the help!

// Jonas

Reply to
Jonas Floden

That's great!

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

-Zach

Reply to
Zach Pfeffer

We have discovered that we have some voltage problems, and probably thats why we have so much problems...

Thanks for all your help!

// Jonas

Reply to
Jonas Floden