problem with RS485 or RS232

Dear all, I would like to know if it's possible to create an interface from Virtex II-FPGA's to serial RS485 or RS232,please ? Do you have some application notes or technical issues for this problem,please?

Thank you very much for your help. Best regards, Davide Canina

Reply to
Davide Canina

Look at:

=> serial interface.

Good luck

Reply to
MARTIN jm

As rs232 requires +/-15v, rs422 should be simpler cos Virtex should support differential signaling.

Reply to
valentin tihomirov

If you want to attach RS485 or RS232 lines directly to the FPGA I would not do this. And, as Valentin said, you get some voltage level problems. Normally, one uses special RS232 or RS485 transceivers that are driven by standard levels.

As for the logical part, you need to implement some standard UART functionality in your FPGA. If you don't know how to do that, have a look at the link Martin gave you, or check out

Regards, Mario

Reply to
Mario Trams