Problem with Modelsim Lisence server...

Hi guys,
Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2
lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont
close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command
quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of
the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server
we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill
those process and regain the 2 lisences.

 Is there any way or any script that can help me to do this without
restarting the lisence server. I know its easier to handle in Linux or
Unix severs, by just killing the process. But how will i do the same
without restarting the windows 2000 server. Is there any java or any
other script for that.

Regards..
Debashish Hota

Re: Problem with Modelsim Lisence server...

1. Learn the lmstat command to find out who is holding licenses,
    and train them to close the gui.

2. Learn to use command line execution: vcom -c and vsim -c.
    vcom (command line) does not require a license. Bringing up
    the gui with vsim.exe holds a licenses for the whole
    session, even if you are just editing and compiling.

    Running a text testbench with vsim -c only holds the license
    during a sim and then relinquishes it.

      -- Mike Treseler

Re: Problem with Modelsim Lisence server...

Thank you Mike i have downloaded the FLEXLM enduser guide.This solved
all my problems.I am using lmstat -a and lmremove

Re: Problem with Modelsim Lisence server...

Use "lmremove" command with the license admin privileges. To recognize
that the process is dead, there are unix ways and I am not aware of
windows ways.

I suggest wrap your modelsim command with a shell script that takes
care of these issues.

Regards,

- Prasanna

Site Timeline