Preserve patent materials through a notary

Hi, I read some books describing that preservation of patent ideas through a notary is valid in the law.

Yesterday we put all patent materials into a large envelop and went to a notary to seal it. A lawyer in the notary put notary stamps on all papers and sealed the envelop properly with stamps too. What surprised us is there is no date!!! There are no date stamps like a register letter that must have a date stamp on the envelop. There is no receipt neither.

What does It prove? What I need is a date a patent law court admits. But here there is no date. What is wrong? What should I do next?

Thank you.

Weng

Reply to
Weng Tianxiang

You don't say where you had your documents notarized, but I know that when I get a document notarized in New Hampshire, the notary enters the description in a log book, which certainly has dates.

I would suggest that you enter a date next to your signature yourself when the documents are notarized. The notary stamp indicates that the signing and dating was witnessed by a reliable person and a record kept of this witnessing.

HTH Gabor

Weng Tianxiang wrote:

Reply to
Gabor

Hi Gabor, Thank you for your response.

I am living in California. Everything done by the notary is fine, but no date. Yes, they did write correct thing in a log book that belongs to theirs, but gave us anyt prove of the date. Is it enough when the package is shown in a court if necessary?

Weng

Gabor wrote:

Reply to
Weng Tianxiang

Did they do this for free ? Their invoice should give you a date ? If you also record this in your diary, that is another common legal reference.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hi Jim, We paid cash $20 and didn't get invoice.

Recording in diary requires 2 other experts in the field to sign their names to meet patent idea requirements. But this is my home project, I couldn't get even 1 expert to sign, not mention 2 experts.

Weng

Jim Granville wrote:

Reply to
Weng Tianxiang

And you're sure they don't dispose it in the bin as soon as you leave ? A patent has to be processed, definitely not deposited.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Hi Rene, No, we didn't dispose it in a bin.

We will ask for invoice next week.

Thank you.

Weng

Reply to