power of two multiplier

In the error update path of an adaptive filter I am implementing a
power of two multiplier; I am converting the full binary error to the
next higher magnitude power of two which then gets encoded to a sign
and shift count. So the multiplication is a barrel shift and a sign
change if necessary. So far this has a trivial verilog implementation
but both the RTL and the gate level output reads as if there can be
some interesting optimizations. I am currently using a special code to
represent errors of exactly zero and a mux after the shifter to
generate multiplication by zero. Anyone has done a similar update path
or multiplier? Any ideas, tricks which I can use to reduce the
critical path/area ?

Thanks.

Site Timeline