Power Cosumption of a Memory Unit

Hello all, I have a basic question.

  1. How do you find out power consumption (dynamic) of a memory unit? Specifically, if I have a DPRAM (one port Write only @ X MHz, other Read only @ Y MHz), of depth D and width W, what is the power consumption equation?

Now one additional question.

  1. Does the power consumption depend on memory organization? (Rows and columns can be organized as ... (D/2)x2W, DxW, 2Dx(W/2), ...).

My input data width is always W and output data width is also W. In this case if the memory organization is other than DxW, extra circuitry is required for converting W bits to memory width at the input and memory width to W bits conversion at the output. Also, memory write and read frequencies have to be appropriately scaled according to memory organization. So for answering the second question, you have to consider "equivalent systems" and compare apples with apples.

I do not know whether the problem I have is trivial. In that case can somebody give me a good reference book where I can get information about these?

Thanx in advance, Nagaraj C S

Reply to
Nagaraj