Porting MontaVista Linux on ML403

Hi,

I have been trying to port MontaVista Linux 3.1 to ML403 board. The source compilation was successful. I have set up the NFS and DHCP as well. However, when trying to run MV on ML403, the kernel hangs on : Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k init. Does anybody know how to solve this problem? Thanks.

Maya

Reply to
sh3.m4y4

Hi,

I have been trying to port MontaVista Linux 3.1 to ML403 board. The source compilation was successful. I have set up the NFS and DHCP as well. However, when trying to run MV on ML403, the kernel hangs on : Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k init. Does anybody know how to solve this problem? Thanks.

Maya

Reply to
sh3.m4y4

Make sure your on-chip peripheral (OCP) setup exactly matches what you have in your bitstream. There's no probing (and no way to probe) for most of these devices, so your kernel must exactly match your .bit.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Hi Ben,

I checked the OCP setup on the board and everything seemed to match the configuration to generate the bitstream. Another message that I got after it got stuck on "Freeing unused kernel memory" is "nfs: server

192.168.1.137 not responding, still trying". I checked the nfs status and it is running properly. dhcpd is also running. The next step should be: "serial console detected. Disabling virtual terminals. init started: "...etc. Any suggestions?

Maya

matches what

Reply to
sh3.m4y4

Hi Maya,

I'm not sure if you have already tried the approach documented in the ML403 users manual.

When you download the ML403 reference design you can find a linux subdirectory. In there you find a shell script that you can run to create the BSP inluding the .config for a MontaVista Linux 3.1 Linux kernel (it will most likely also work with kernels from other sources).

With that the steps to successfully build a Linux kernel for the ML403 board are:

  1. Download the ML403 reference design from
  2. Copy the Linux kernel into a working directory.
  3. Run XPS with system_linux.xmp and generate the BSP and bitstream From the command line that is: $ xps -nw system_linux.xmp XPS% run libs XPS% run init_bram XPS% exit
  4. Change to the linux sub-directory of the reference design and run the script: $ cd linux $ ./patch_linux
  5. Change to the Linux kernel and build the kernel. $ make clean $ make oldconfig $ make bzImage
  6. Download the bitstream and Linux kernel to the board, start a terminal at 9600 and voila. $ xps -nw system_linux.xmp XPS% run download XPS% exit $ xmd -nx XMD% connect ppc hw XMD% dow arch/ppc/boot/images/zImage.elf XMD% con

This will boot the kernel from the System ACE CF card shipping with the board. Now, if that works boot it up and mount the NFS root server manually. # mount -t nfs /mnt

That will allow you to debug potential problems with the NFS and DHCP servers (for a start you might want to disable firewalls and SELinux on your server).

Once NFS and DHCP work, shut down the board and reload the kernel. On the kernel command line change "ip=off" to "ip=on nfsroot=" (without the brackets). If all goes well the board will boot from NFS.

- Peter

sh3.m4y4 wrote:

Reply to
Peter Ryser