PLLs on biphase mark signals

Hello all,

Will an FPGA PLL lock onto a biphase mark(Manchester ??) encoded signal? I'm trying to build an SPDIF receiver and am wondering if its possible to directly connect the input signal(after analog level adjustment) to an FPGA and read the level at the 90 and 270 degree phases. If frames are continuously being transmitted when the PLL attempts to lock on, how does it know which frequency to use? It seems if all zeros are being transmitted the PLL will lock to half the frequency it should.

Reply to
Adam

Probably not for a Xilinx Virtex II, Spartan III or Virtex II Pro, the FPGA specs state that the DCM inputs must have < 1ns period jitter, outside which they will lose lock. A true-PLL design may be more forgiving, though.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim George

possible to

an FPGA

SPDIF is only 48kHz * 32 bits * 2 channels * 2 for biphase = 6MHz Any modern FPGA will do 100MHz easy. So just oversample the signal and decode it like a UART would.

To build a transmitter locked to the receiver would be more difficult. Alan Nishioka snipped-for-privacy@accom.com

Reply to
alann

possible to

an FPGA

SPDIF is only 48kHz * 32 bits * 2 channels * 2 for biphase = 6MHz Any modern FPGA will do 100MHz easy. So just oversample the signal and decode it like a UART would.

To build a transmitter locked to the receiver would be more difficult. Alan Nishioka snipped-for-privacy@accom.com

Reply to
alann

A Manhester decoder can be implemented in less than one Virtex-II CLB. You need an 8x oversampling clock, but the tolerances are quite generous: The clock frequency must be between 5 and 12 times the incoming bit rate. Send me an e-mail if you need the code. I described the concept years ago in our XCell magazine.

Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications ( snipped-for-privacy@xilinx.com)

Reply to
Peter

signal?

possible to

an FPGA

A Manhester decoder can be implemented in less than one Virtex-II CLB. You need an 8x oversampling clock, but the tolerances are quite generous: The clock frequency must be between 5 and 12 times the incoming bit rate. Send me an e-mail if you need the code. I described the concept years ago in our XCell magazine.

Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications ( snipped-for-privacy@xilinx.com)

Reply to
Peter

Thanks to the responses. I'm gonna have a go at it on my own first and see what I come up with.

Reply to
Adam