Pissed off with Xilinx - Spartan 3

14 week lead time for samples for the XC3S200. How can you prototype with that?

It makes worry even more when it comes to manufacture where I might need quantity.

Reply to
Fred

what package do you need?

Antti

"Fred" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:42a4814e$0$2594$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Frederic, We have plenty of XC3S200, but how can we halp you when you give neither your name nor your company affiliation. Being "pissed off" is no good when you give us no chance to help you.

Peter Alfke, Xilinx

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Frederic, We have plenty of XC3S200, but how can we halp you when you give neither your name nor your company affiliation. Being "pissed off" is no good when you give us no chance to help you.

Peter Alfke, Xilinx

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Peter,

go to

, search for XC3S and let only available device get listed. You'll get horrified...

Why does .www.xilinx.com only sell CPLDs?

Uwe Bonnes

Perhaps by telling that to Insight Memec in the UK rather than telling them there's a 14 week lead time! Also having more than one distributor in the UK may inspire some customer appreciation.

Reply to
Fred

PQ208

Reply to
Fred

Fred,

Peter is right there is plenty of the XC3S200. It is those of us using the larger parts who have soiled underwear.

Reply to
rickystickyrick

We have 15pcs XC3S200-4VQ100C, date-code 0441, sealed package, never opened, that we can sell. If someone is interested, just send me an e-mail (we have switched the project to S3E, so we have no longer a need for them...).

Thomas Entner

"Uwe B>> Frederic,

Reply to
Thomas Entner

Sorry, they are already sold now...

"Thomas Entner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:42a556ed$0$30428$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader01.highway.telekom.at...

Reply to
Thomas Entner

That's a great shame. Unfortunately I need the pins! so was going for the PQ208 package.

Reply to
Fred

I think the speed of your sale suggests emphasises they're more like rocking horse droppings.

Reply to
Fred

I bought them immediately, not because I might have trouble getting them (I haven't checked with Memec) but because Thomas was selling them cheaper than I can get them for, and it's less trouble than dealing with Memec. I don't have an account with them, which always seems to cause problems.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Word on the street is Spartan-3 lead times are generally increasing at the moment. We are seeing that ourselves. I believe there has been a big "turn on" of projects using the parts lately. Hopefully the boys and girls at Xilinx are ramping production to catch up.

We can't help you on PQ208 but we do have some XC3S200 VQG100 I believe within our strategic spartan-3 stocks. It is also worth talking to the Memec in the UK you deal with and see if they have better lead times on variations of what you need i.e. speed grade, industrial grade etc. They don't tend to carry a lot of stock as they get burned if it does not sell so mostly it is a place an order an wait. Some places outside the UK sometimes carry stock so worth doing a search if you are desperate.

I have not tried it myself but Xilinx sell XC3S200 direct of their website and I don't know if they have issues in them shipping to the UK.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

Thanks for your offer but I need the pins.

Xilinx have their buy online store but they only sell CPLDs there. A reply to an email I sent to "online store" said talk to your distributor and sales office which are things I had already done. I have searched in vain but can't get any hint of sourcing samples off their website. Do you have any links?

"John Adair" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@damia.uk.clara.net...

Reply to
Fred

They seem to have broken this in last week's "upgrade" of the website. It was definately there a few weeks ago because I looked at with one of our customers. There is a button on

for buying samples but it seems to have something not right about it too.

Moral of the story is order your FPGA parts at the beginning of your project. It is usually the limiting factor in fast turn board design and prototype. We have been burned before so we carry our own small strategic stocks of things we might use and have delivered custom FPGA board designs to customer in less than 3 weeks by having these parts available.

If your project has any amount of production volume behind it talk to your rep a bit harder. It is sometimes amazing what can be done for the right project.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

Un bel giorno Fred digitò:

Until some months ago, Xilinx was selling directly these parts (up to XC3S400 IIRC) through their online shop. Apparently this is no longer true, maybe they don't care to "push" Spartan3 anymore.

And you haven't tried to ask for bigger models. I would like to do a prototype with a XC3S4000, and it seems that no one in the world is able to sell less than 40 or 50 pieces at a time (and of course, not before 8-10 weeks). I would have to spend 8000$ just to make the prototype, plus 2500$ for ISE Foundation (because - I don't know why - they have decided to drop the support for the biggest Spartan3 from ISE Webpack and BaseX).

And this is what they call "low cost". I'm not angry, I'm just very tired of having more and more problems to get the FPGAs I need. As far as I know XC3S4000 costs around 150$ for "small" quantities, I don't think it has to be considered a high-end device.

--
asd
Reply to

Doh who told you that ? I bought like 10 of XC3S400 FT256 for

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Hi Fred,

I would not interprete too much into the fast sale, maybe the buyer has just realized that he makes a good deal (we are happy to get rid of them...). In fact, we got our parts immediately from Memec, about 2 month ago.

( at Xilinx: I hope, we really get the Spartan 3S500E-4CPG132 at end of June, for this nice comment ;-)

Regards,

Thomas

"Fred" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:42a56b34$0$23915$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Reply to