Personalization of Xilinx ISE

Hi all, Is there a method for personalization of ISE? One of the personalizations: - For avoiding students to make errors in IOB proprties in UCF files (the student's projects are for S3-Starter kit): is it possible to add some step in the translate phase? I saw a perl interpreter installed with ISE.

GaLaKtIkUs™

Aurelian Lazarut

As someone who regularly writes code for existing boards, I find it annoying that ISE doesn't make it easier to find non-LOC'd I/O pins. I usually look first at the place&route report and check the "number of LOCed IOBs" line to make sure it's 100%. However there is no translate option to report an error for non-LOCed I/O's. Also it's painful to browse through the pad report, which shows the the status (LOCATED or not) of each IOB in a far right column that is generally off-screen without scrolling.

Conversely I regularly need to set the (advanced) uption "Allow unmatched LOC constraints" so I don't need to create a new ucf file for each design on the same board. I'd really rather the unmatched LOC's be allowed (possibly with a warning) as a default, and un-LOCed IOB's to be (optionally) flagged as an error. For anyone designing code for existing hardware, these defaults make more sense. Note that this includes anyone using the Starter Kits, read inexperienced designers.

Just my 2 cents, Gabor

Aurelian Lazarut wrote:

Reply to
Gabor

Hi Gabor, why a non-locked pin should be considered an error? if you want to constrain a pin to a location, the tools will (usually) obey, if you do not care by not adding a location constraint why the tools should care, or maybe you want a mechanism which will guess that you actually forgot an entry into your ucf.

Aurash

Gabor wrote:

Also

Reply to
Aurelian Lazarut

Aurelian Lazarut ( snipped-for-privacy@xilinx.com) wrote: : Hi Gabor, : why a non-locked pin should be considered an error? : if you want to constrain a pin to a location, the tools will (usually) : obey, if you do not care by not adding a location constraint why the : tools should care, or maybe you want a mechanism which will guess that : you actually forgot an entry into your ucf.

What'd be really nice would be for the tools to let the user specify the severity of a condition on a per project basis. So for example a non LOCed IO could be flagged as 'no action', 'warning' or 'error'

Given how many spurious warnings are often kicked out by the tools, it'd be really usefull to have this as an integrated feature.

cds

Reply to
c d saunter

The reason a non-LOCed pin is an error on a board that has already been placed routed and assembled, is that the tools will take this I/O and assign it to any available I/O pin of the FPGA. This can be very bad depending on the net connected to the essentially randomly selected pin. Also sometimes non-LOCed IOB's represent signals that were unintentionally assigned an I/O buffer.

Obviously I can constrain a pin to a location. Sometimes I mis-spell a pin name in a design (vs. a standard .ucf for the board). In a design with for example an XC2V1000 with 300 or more used IOB's, it is easy to mess one up. Another problem is when using bused I/O and the .ucf doesn't use the same type of brackets as XST. Since the bracket style is a synthesis option, it's possible for the same source code to work in one project and not another.

The tools don't need to "guess", either there is or isn't a ucf entry to match each IOB in the design.

Reply to
Gabor