Performance Appraisals

You had him executed by the Spanish Inquisition, didn't you, Mr. WOOD of GATE?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In message , dated Fri, 1 Sep 2006, fpga snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

I remember sitting in a British Standards meeting while pairs of pigeons were busy mating on the window sill of the committee room.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Fri, 1 Sep 2006, fpga snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

12 hours.

-- OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try

and

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Joerg writes

Same here, but this is a new client, about 64th in the pecking order of the contract. So I agreed a fixed price, instead of an open estimate and an introductory discount.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Joerg writes

I KNEW that would happen! It's a rather nice (and inexpensive) red, not beer, so no pints.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Hello John,

But you don't wear them to an interview ;-)

And if he or she uses one in an RF mixer I get "uncomfy" :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Our drill sergeant used to say that the day has 24 hours and when that ain't sufficient then there is still the night.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Funny, I actually prefer fixed bid. Generally causes clients to think about what they want, rather than giving me a short list of what they want, asking for an "estimate" of how long that will take, and then being disappointed when the schedule slips because they keep adding additional requirements/refinements to the project.

Reply to
fpga_toys

Hello John,

If you come to the Western US try Killian's Red. Pretty good but I prefer stouts and IPA. However, tonight it'll be margaritas.

We also have a local brewpub where they can refill your growlers with some of these:

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

That the police actually *did* something? Yes, that would be unexpected.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

For my present position, I of course interviewed in a coat and tie, even though I knew the usual dress was casual. It is part of knowing what impression you need to leave. When I came back the next day for some follow up questions (mine, not theirs) I just wore a tie.

Then, for my first day, I came in full three piece suit, mostly as a joke. I told my co-workers that I would dress a little more causually each day, so that by Friday I would be in t-shirt and cutoffs...

Also on that first day was the companies annual meeting. Since I was new, and didn't have any other duties, the boss took me along. As we walked in, and sat down, several folks were wondering "Who's the new banker?" 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

In message , dated Fri,

1 Sep 2006, Joerg writes

That's right; it's how consultants get to work 170 hours a week.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Fri,

1 Sep 2006, Joerg writes

Is that a wine or a beer?

H'mmm. Possibly SFO in October for the Audio Engineering Society Convention. Would one get Placerville beers in SFO?

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Charlie Edmondson writes

I bet THAT made an impression. Where did you wear it?

[snip]

Are you QUITE sure about the 'b' sound? (;-)

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Hello Charlie,

Sometimes it's good to be prepared at all times. Once I wore a tie, just for the heck, don't remember why. Then our V.P.Quality came up to me with a pain-stricken face. Gave me a CD, pointed at me, then at the board room, a was promptly whisked away to emergency dental surgery. He had just broken a molar in half. Ouch. I had to do his presentation to all the guys in the expensive suits. Whew...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello John,

Una cerveza. A beer from WA state. That's where the micro brewery trend started although I am certain Win will disagree.

Not really. They have their own good stuff. Try Gordon Biersch, a huge brewpub right where the Bay Bridge lands at the S.F. side. Give John Larkin a ring, it should only be a short hop from his biz to there. Plus he'll certainly know a lot more good places. Anchor Steam is another good beer in S.F.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Doesn't work for me, but my Dutch grammar isn't quite what it ought to be - I failed the Dutch as a Second Language exam on my written Dutch with a score off 499 against a pass mark of 500, after comfortably passing the tests of mmy capacity to read. hear and speak Dutch.

And I did have one dyslexic symptom when I was learning to read, in that I'd read "was" as "saw"and vice versa. My parents picked this up very early and gave me extra training every evening for a bit which completely sorted the problem. In fact I spent most of my primary school career bored silly by the reading lessons, where I was couple of years ahead of the rest of the class.

And I am left-handed, like one of my two brothers. My father would have written left-handed if he'd had the choice.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Hello Bill,

Did they make you do that test for citizenship or something? I lived there over 6 years and never took any tests. Now about 20 years later it's mostly gone but my Dutch comes back after 2-3 pintjes of Grolsch. However, as with you only the read-hear-speak portions of it. Writing is definitely gone.

It's hard to practice out here in the west. Except for Radio Nederland Wereldomroep plus one friend who was born in NL there isn't much of a chance.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I had a teacher that let me work ahead of the class (this was something like

4th grade), and I remember the thrill of being the first to get to read some BRAND SPANKING NEW "reader" books that hadn't ever been read before. :-) (The "old" books were these thick paperback jobbies that had deep creases in the covers from being used over and over again... *I* got to make the first crease in the new book... :-) )

That was the same school where I was allowed to run the 16mm film projector until one day I accidentally knocked it off the ~4' tall rolling cart it was on, sending it tumbling onto a hard floor and mangling the reel support arms, causing hundreds of dollars in damage.

Oops.

The high point of the four years I spent in that school was the day some kid threw a plant in a clay-potted plant *through a window*, making the most wonderful crashing noises and breaking the tempered glass into a bazillion pieces. I thought for sure that kid would be in prison for the rest of his life... (This was a relatively conservative school -- I remember more than once going through the routine of everyone being made to line up against the wall and wait indefinitely until someone ratted out who had committed some egregious misdeed, such as stealing an eraser from a classroom...)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I'm left handed too. I was outraged when my first-grade teacher tried to switch me to righty, and my rage didn't help matters. I started writing right to left, then with "coaching" left to right but with reversed letters, then alternating lines or switching to mirrored letters in the middle of a line or .... I thought I was doing it on purpose, but not really. When she finally relented and let me use my left hand. I was still reversing things inadvertently for another two weeks.

I apparently scored a great victory for humanity. I learned years later that I was the last student she tried to switch. I'm only a bit dyslexic (which I didn't realize at the time) but too poorly coordinated to be any good at sports or play a musical instrument with rewarding facility.

Jerry

Jerry Avins