PCI Express - Root Complex ?

Looking to use some Xilinx V4FX or Altera Stratix GXparts for designing several endpoints using PCI Express for the 1st time. I dont have the PCI-Express spec yet but am wondering whether I need a root complex?

My understanding is that root complex differs from endpoint in that it is used for interfacing to main CPU memory. However if I only want to communicate between various FPGA endpoints (using a switch) do I really need a root complex IP bridge? Seems like all IP cores are endpoints only?

Any Xilinx or Altera PCI Express IP core recommendations based on experience?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jerome

I would guess it's more or less like PCI and you need someone to enumerate the busses and assign address.

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Hi Jerome, Sylvan,

Looking at your architecture requirements, I would say that your need is to design an endpoint solution. Here is a link that would perhaps help you see where an endpoint solution sits in the model PCI Express system architecture. http://www/products/ip/images/pci_express_fig1_typ_app.pdf

Going a little bit further, Altera devices (and I think Xilinx is the same) are capable of doing both root complex as well as end point applications. Altera offers a complete portfolio of solutions for PCI Express applications, some highlights as it pertains to Stratix II GX are given below: End point IP Core (x1, x4, x8) with proven interoperability at the PCI SIG (e.g. x8 IP core: http://www/products/ip/iup/pci-express/m-alt-pcie8.html) FPGA (Stratix II GX) with embedded transceivers that are shipping today Stratix II GX based PCI Express development kit orderable today (http://www/products/devkits/altera/kit-pciexpress_s2gx.html)

Besides Stratix II GX, Altera supports PCI Express on Cyclone II, Stratix II as well as Stratix GX. Here is a link that would provide you with an overall idea of Altera PCI Express solutions:

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions ( snipped-for-privacy@altera.com)

Regards, Aashish

Sylva> > Looking to use some Xilinx V4FX or Altera Stratix GXparts for designing

Reply to
Aashish Malhotra

Hey Guys,

Just realized, that the links specified below need to be modified. Here are the correct links: PCI Express Architecture:

x8 IP core:

Altera Stratix II GX based PCI Express Development Kit:

Overall Altera PCI Express soluti> Hi Jerome, Sylvan,

Reply to
Aashish Malhotra