PCI Design

hi, what is the difference for designing a PCI card for a desktop motherboard and with a Single Board Computer(SBC)? should a PCI card designed for Desktop PC work on SBC's?

-k-

Reply to
water7

Yes, as long as you can physically plug it in and it matches the interface voltage.

Most SBCs I've seen come in PC104+ format. I've used an adaptor in one project that allows a standard form PCI card to be plugged in, I've also developed a PC104+ board that an SBC plugged on to.

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Ayon kay Nial Stewart:

hi, is the SBC's edge connector(male) works the same as Desktop PC PCI Slots, i mean if i make a male-to-male pci adaptor to plug a generic pci device(male) to SBC?

-k-

Reply to
water7

Mostly. Will probably work if a one/two PCI devices are present with a little care. Consider that you may violate several of the design considerations regarding termination and timing right off the bat with the additional trace lengths and addtitional reflections for the adapter connectors. Thankfully there is some margin in most PCI designs at 25/33mhz. Some don't ... IE devices on extender cards makes the system unstable for certain motherboards and configurations.

Reply to
fpga_toys