Parallel execution of Systemc code

// Testbench rst=true; wait(10, SC_MS); rst=false; in1=8; in2=2; in3=3; in4=6; sel=2; wait(50, SC_MS); cout

Reply to
muyihwah

HT-Lab

Please could you explain what shows the code to be sequential.

Reply to
muyihwah

(snip, someone wrote)

(snip)

Personally, I am against the idea of things like SystemsC.

Well, I use structural verilog mostly, with behavioral verilog only for things that can't be done otherwise, like registers.

But if one is used to wiring up gates and flip-flops, it isn't hard to think about writing that down, and, as with TTL logic, everything happening in parallel.

SystemsC pretends to look like serial C, and makes you believe that you can design logic with serial thinking. Even more, it might make you believe that you can port serial programs to parallel logic without change.

My favorite use for FPGAs is systolic array implementations of dynamic programming algorithms. They look very different from the serial (C) implementations. There is no useful porting of C code.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

They are obviously not declarations, therefore they are statements in a single C++ function, and hence are sequential.

regards Alan

--
Alan Fitch
Reply to

Hi Glen,

Why? It is just another RTL language (library).

Behavioural Verilog to model a Register?

SystemC doesn't look at all like serial C, SystemC is processes, signals, ports, hierarchy, i.e all the constructs you will find in Verilog/VHDL. If you want to do architectural exploration you need to use a block of C/C++ code and not SystemC. SystemC adds concurrency to C/C++.

I give you the "without a change" but other than that you should have a look at the latest ESL tools capability like Catapult8 and Cynthesizer5, you will be impressed.

I am sure you can model a systolic array in plain old C, in SystemC it should be as easy as Verilog or VHDL,

Regards, Hans.

HT-Lab

Thanks a lot for the response. Could you please point me to some online resources or books that might provide detailed explanations.

Reply to
muyihwah

Alan

--