Parallel Cable III Problems

Problem Description:
---------------------------------------
I have created the parallel cable III from the design that is online
at the xilinx website. i am trying to configure my xc95108 but i cant
and i receive an error message

Error Message:
---------------------------------------
Error: impact:1210 - '1':Boundary scan chain test failed at bit
position '1'. a problem may exist in the hardware configuration.....

My parallel cable is very short,and my parallel port works perfectly
fine,since the printer is working. i don't have the cable over a
monitor. i am in despair. i don't know what to do. if i don't program
my CPLD i can't go on. could anyone help?

Re: Parallel Cable III Problems
: Problem Description:
: ---------------------------------------
: I have created the parallel cable III from the design that is online
: at the xilinx website. i am trying to configure my xc95108 but i cant
: and i receive an error message

: Error Message:
: ---------------------------------------
: Error: impact:1210 - '1':Boundary scan chain test failed at bit
: position '1'. a problem may exist in the hardware configuration.....

: My parallel cable is very short,and my parallel port works perfectly
: fine,since the printer is working. i don't have the cable over a
: monitor. i am in despair. i don't know what to do. if i don't program
: my CPLD i can't go on. could anyone help?

Debug with an oscilloscope at the xc95108 that all signals arrive andare the
right ones...

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                 snipped-for-privacy@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
Re: Parallel Cable III Problems

A classic problem.  I have seen this many times.  First, check the BIOS
settings of the parallel port to make sure it is set the way you want it.
(I think SPP may be the most reliable mode for the parallel cable.)

Second, you may need to switch motherboards, use a different PC, use
a plug-in parallel card, etc.  There are some motherboard parallel port
chips that simply do NOT work properly with the parallel cable III,
due to some of the level translating features it has.  I have had this
happen with several systems over the years.  I've got some stable systems
that work fine with the P. C. III, but I can't really tell you what it is
about them that makes them work better.  SMC chips seem to work
best, one-chip mothrboards seem to have the most problems.

Jon

Re: Parallel Cable III Problems
This was beat to death a few months ago.  No one solution,
but lots of suggestions.  Check Google.