Parallel Cable III Problems

Problem Description:

--------------------------------------- I have created the parallel cable III from the design that is online at the xilinx website. i am trying to configure my xc95108 but i cant and i receive an error message

Error Message:

--------------------------------------- Error: impact:1210 - '1':Boundary scan chain test failed at bit position '1'. a problem may exist in the hardware configuration.....

My parallel cable is very short,and my parallel port works perfectly fine,since the printer is working. i don't have the cable over a monitor. i am in despair. i don't know what to do. if i don't program my CPLD i can't go on. could anyone help?

Reply to
Thanassis Roubies

Thanassis Roubies wrote: : Problem Description: : --------------------------------------- : I have created the parallel cable III from the design that is online : at the xilinx website. i am trying to configure my xc95108 but i cant : and i receive an error message

: Error Message: : --------------------------------------- : Error: impact:1210 - '1':Boundary scan chain test failed at bit : position '1'. a problem may exist in the hardware configuration.....

: My parallel cable is very short,and my parallel port works perfectly : fine,since the printer is working. i don't have the cable over a : monitor. i am in despair. i don't know what to do. if i don't program : my CPLD i can't go on. could anyone help?

Debug with an oscilloscope at the xc95108 that all signals arrive andare the right ones...

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

A classic problem. I have seen this many times. First, check the BIOS settings of the parallel port to make sure it is set the way you want it. (I think SPP may be the most reliable mode for the parallel cable.)

Second, you may need to switch motherboards, use a different PC, use a plug-in parallel card, etc. There are some motherboard parallel port chips that simply do NOT work properly with the parallel cable III, due to some of the level translating features it has. I have had this happen with several systems over the years. I've got some stable systems that work fine with the P. C. III, but I can't really tell you what it is about them that makes them work better. SMC chips seem to work best, one-chip mothrboards seem to have the most problems.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

This was beat to death a few months ago. No one solution, but lots of suggestions. Check Google.

Reply to
David Kinsell