P160 Communication Module 3

Hi All ,

I used the P160 Communication Module 3 add on card for memec xilinx FPGA dev boards a year ago. Where has it gone? I cant find it on the avnet memec site. Is it obsolete now?

BR Rate

Reply to
ratemonotonic

Since Avnet bought Memec, they were in a dilemma: Memec-boards used the P160-connector, Avnet-boards something else. So for new boards designed by Avnet-Memec they decided to introduce something new altogether, so now P160 is obsolete... I suppose they just sold the rest of their stock of P160-modules and didn't make any new ones...

cu, Sean

--
My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
Try figuring out what the address is going to be after that...

Oh no ! I Have done a preliminary system design with the assumption that a addon ethernet MAC/PHY Chip like P160 comms 3 module will be available, for my memec Spartan 3 LC devlopment kit. Is there any way out of this dilemma?

BR rate

Reply to
ratemonotonic

When I asked my FAE about a year ago, I got the following response:

Re: XILINX MEMEC Boards Future: We have developed a new expansion standard called EXP. All new boards will use this format, and AvBus and P160/P240 will go away. We have created a EXP-to-P160 adaptor to allow P160 modules to connect to the new EXP boards. You can see more info on EXP at

HTH, Sean

--
My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
Try figuring out what the address is going to be after that...
Reply to
Sean Durkin

The documentation for the P160 Comm 3 is still posted on the Avnet DRC

but the module is not for sale anymore. You could try checking with your Avnet FAE or try finding a used one somewhere.

The P160 Comm 2 is still available, but it has a PHY rather than MAC

+PHY.

Another alternative (but different hardware), is the Spartan-3 Mini- Module. This has the same MAC+PHY as the P160 Comm 3.

Bryan

Sean Durk> > Oh no ! I Have done a preliminary system design with the assumption

Reply to
Bryan

Hi Brayan ,

Yes it looks good. I thinks I will buy this.

BR Rate.

Reply to
ratemonotonic