Out of memory error : XPS, microblaze, EDK

dear

In EDK6.3 XPS, microblaze netlist generation,

Following 'out of memory' error occurred. Memory is 3GB, (sufficient enough, i think)

Someone who has experience like me, how did you manage this problem?

---------------------------------------------------------- ERROR:Portability:3 - This Xilinx application has run out of memory or has encountered a memory conflict. Current memory usage is 2044740 kb. Memory problems may require a simple increase in available system memory, or possibly a fix to the software or a special workaround. To troubleshoot or remedy the problem, first: Try increasing your system's RAM. Alternatively, you may try increasing your system's virtual memory or swap space. If this does not fix the problem, please try the following: Search the Answers Database at support.xilinx.com to locate information on this error message. If neither of the above resources produces an available solution, please use Web Support to open a case with Xilinx Technical Support off of support.xilinx.com. As it is likely that this may be an unforeseen problem, please be prepared to submit relevant design files if necessary.

make: *** [implementation/microblaze_0_wrapper.ngc] Error 19

thx

regards

Reply to
Hur

I don't have experience with this platform but from the information you provided, I would conclude it is a memory conflict.

Why: The error message indicates that it could be from either an 'out of memory condition' or a 'memory conflict'. You have stated that you have set memory at 3 Gb. In the memory message it said that it is using

1.95 Gb. Therefore I would c> dear
Reply to
DerekSimmons

Thankyou

i think you are right...possibly memory conflict......i would check BRAM size ....(if this is a way to check "memory conflict" --: )

by the way, in base system wizard (and microblaze reference guide), we can choose 8K, 16K, 32K...BRAM size...

Question is that can we set BRAM size 12KB ? (base address 0000 0000 - 0000 3fff)

thankyou again

regards

snipped-for-privacy@Fr> I don't have experience with this platform but from the information you

Reply to
Hur

Again I don't have experience with your target platform but I'll venture putting my foot in my mouth. Base on the sizes you listed, if it will let you specify 12 Kb and build without any errors or warnings then it might be actually allocating 12 Kb of 16 Kb and not addressing the last 4 Kb or memory so that you can put something else in that address space.

Derek

Reply to
DerekSimmons

I sense confusion here...

It appears to me that you are mixing up the address space of your microblaze design and the address space of the computer on which you are compiling your target design.

Unfortunately, the error message is referring to the latter and not the former. The computer on which you are compiling the design has run out of memory. Try increasing your computer's memory if possible. Some platforms have different memory limits. (Example: WinXP usually reserves 1GB for OS and 2GB for applications.)

Changing the address space of your microblaze design is probably not going to get you anywhere with this problem.

You can check

for possible solutions. If there are no solutions readily available to you you can open a case with the Xilinx hotline for other possible workarounds.

-Davis Moore

Hur wrote:

Reply to
Davis Moore

Well, I'm confused too. Why does a compiler need so much memory?

All sorts of systems get compiled on boxes with much less memory than

2GB. (My NetBSD/Arm box can compile it's kernel in 32 MB.)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Hal Murray

I opened case for this 'out of memory' problem 3 days ago. Today one email arrived at me. It's about Xilinx Technical Support Satisfaction Survey But I did not receive any response to my case submission. Should I reopen it or wait for another response ? Or it's better to forget this case....:) regards

you

using

checked

Reply to
Hur

I'm sorry that I used the word "compile" in this context. :)

By "compile" I mean "running the FPGA design through the ISE tools." ISE is running out of memory on his FPGA design.

Either XST, NetGen, NgdBuild or some other tool in ISE is running out of memory. It is not clear to me from his post which tool it might be.

-Davis Moore

Reply to
Davis Moore