OT:Shooting Ourselves in the Foot

[...]

P.S. I've seen you use PE in your title. I did not mean to insult. Your assertions seem to be contrary to many engineers' experiences.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

Malnourishment can simply mean having a poor *quality* diet missing important nutrients. There isn't necessarily any correlation with 'wasting' i.e. low weight.

Interestingly, the poor quality diet may result in the person feeling underfed and this can then lead to overeating and obesity. So you can end up with overweight malnourished ppl.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

[...]

Most MEs know a little about high speed digital circuit design. NOT!

My degree is ME, and I can attest that our academic electrical exposure was little and bad.

His signature does not indicate he offers engineering services. Consultant could mean financial consultant. That's where the term consultant is most often used.

From what I remember, using the unqualifed term "engineer" in business may get one in trouble. Using the term "software engineer" is harmless as well as meaningless.

A rarified world. I vaguely remember a 3.95 GPA requirement for getting into "medical engineering", a program I'm not sure even exists anymore.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

Shit. You seem to be right. My apologies to the group, and my thanks to David M. Palmer. I've been reading too many medical statistics where they do quote per

100,000.

The distribution is the big if. Children's weights will obviously not lie on a Gaussian distribution - there will be a lot more very fat children than very skinny children, because gross obesity takes a long time to kill you, while starvation can do for a kid in a few weeks.

As John Larkin has point out, most of the variability in the U.S. population is going to be concentrated in the fat kids.

Seems very likely that they are. Children starve a lot fasster than adults.

There is other evidence that suggests that juvenile malnutrition is vanishingly rare in most Western European countries, and appreciably less common than in the U.S.A.

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

There's nothing to argue about, slovenia is not listed and neither is most of EU?!?!

I always thought you checked your sources very well, but apparently not so. I find that very dissapointing since you're always fiercely defending your views.

Slovenia is the only country from the Ex-Yugoslavia inside EU at the moment and as such the only one you can use in your comparisons, we were talking about EU. The only war that took place here lasted 10 days, yet you can hardly call that a war.

I assure you, no malnutrition of children resulted from this 10-day incident which took place 15 years ago. Our BDP, if this has any bearing at all for malnutrition, is comparable to the other, admittedly among the less wealthy EU members I listed, such as Portugal. Besides, the culture of eating is very high here. There are far less McDonalds style chains here than in the NetherLands since they're not popular with people, for example Dairy Queen went belly up years ago.

Here is the full "War" story:

Siol
Rather than a heartless beep
Or a rude error message,
See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply to
SioL

Sorry to hear it. Good luck.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

It is not window dressing. As Ray said you opperate in your area of expertise. If his area was building systems and plant systems designing the low level HW or Sw may not be his area. Know how to design a safe system, the interlocks and legal/safety requirements etc. Therefor he could design a system and give the requirements spec to some one else to actually implement.

On the other hand some EE PE's could design the HW but not the system or the software.

PE or C.Eng etc does not mean qualified to do it al but it means qualified in certain areas and professional enough not to try and do other stuff. SO a HW PE will not attempt any critical Sw

BTW Bryan could you design those systems and be sure the were safe and up to al the legal requirements?

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

I'm unaware of digital design and software being areas of expertise where a PE can be registered in Texas. Maybe that's changed, but I doubt it. So that point is probably moot.

Maybe. I've never worked in those areas, but I'm more familiar with processes where designs and implementaions are verified, not those processes where the designer is certified and the product is not.

Sometimes this makes sense. It's hard to non-destructively test a bridge's strength - it must be right the first time. A complicatated system is never right the first time.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

about EU.

a war.

Easy for you to say since you weren't in it...

Heheh- typical revision by a Slovenian military historian. The few pictures suggest that the terrain was absolutely *perfect* to stop any and all YPA tank and armored vehicle advances and kill the occupants, but I guess the TD was shy on explosives so barricades and indirect 82mm mortar fire had to be it. I am not all that familiar with the geography and situation there. Were the YPA already stationed in barracks throughout the country? The RS strategy does seem to have been a brilliantly conceived and executed design, that always helps to make the a war short and sweet.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

about EU.

that a war.

I haven't been fighting, that much is true. 19 died on slovenian side. That many die in road accidents in a similar period of time. Traffic was mostly suspended during these 10-days.

suggest that the terrain was absolutely *perfect* to

but I guess the TD was shy on explosives so

familiar with the geography and situation there. Were the

seem to have been a brilliantly conceived and

Ah, yeah, it was written by a military man, it sounds a bit overly dramatized. The reality was the YPA had no idea what to do. Most of YPA forces were scared young boys from obligatory 1-year service, from different parts of the country, including Slovenia. Most had no idea what the hell was going on and many fled the first chance they got. They were stationed in barracks around the country.

We got out easy.

SioL

Reply to
SioL

I think embedded Sw can be. Some one else here should know..

In large systems often the process has to be certified. Also the designers have to be. The product is also tested.

A bridge or a building is a complicated system. However the rate of change in civil engineering is not the same as in electronics.

however the PE or C.Eng is a step in the right direction. Not perfect but the right direction. And I am sure many of use can contrive a situation where it might not be the solution. But if it is over say 80% effective that is a hell of a lot better than now.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

I don't think you ever will need to - Indian engineers predominantly 'choose' to speak in English. However, the same cant be said for whether they 'think' in English. I do, though :-)

Reply to
SS

No.

It was simply what I heard or read as being the reason why the first breakfast available at hotels was so limited.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

about EU.

that a war.

many

suggest that the terrain was absolutely *perfect* to

but I guess the TD was shy on explosives so

familiar with the geography and situation there. Were the

seem to have been a brilliantly conceived and

I thought something sounded fishy about that "war."

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Possibly some posters are unaware that English is an official Indian language. Indeed, along with Hindi those 2 are the only Indian languages that aren't regional.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Someone was pulling your leg.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

By that standard, my wife is "moderately wasted". And she's healthier than I am, and even more beautiful.

John

Like I always said: psychopathic narcissist.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Hey, whatever works.

John

Stats I've seen (sorry, no citation) gave the mortality rate for the 1918 flu outbreak as 10% of infections, for the current strain 50%+.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian