OT: Block diagramming tools?

Ok,

This is slightly off-topic but what do people in here use to create
their digital logic block diagrams?

I am hopefully looking for something that runs on Win2000, but I'd
consider Linux/FreeBSD alternatives.

Currently I am using "SmartDraw" (www.smartdraw.com) but I find my block
digrams look messy and it's not easy to "rubber band" things like clock
signals. I sometimes like to place text in a block (i.e. "Counter") but
also like to leave room for connections like a clock triangle (>) and
text for EN(able) but when I'm finished the results aren't appealing.

I've also used Edge Diagrammer (from Pacesoft) and found it was "weird"
in  many respects.

Both Edge and SmartDraw are annoying in one particular aspect; if a line
is "attached" to an object, when the object is moved, instead of using
right-angles to re-draw the lines, the connecting line is put at an
angle.

I know a lot of people in general use Visio, what is considered the
best, most lean version of Visio? I loathe Office and especially
anything beyond Office '97.

I'm also interested to hear if anyone uses Kivo/Kivo MP.

Thanks!
Jay.

Re: OT: Block diagramming tools?

related thread:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=does_it_work_yet

  -- Mike Treseler

Re: OT: Block diagramming tools?
There was an open source project called "Camille", which was intended
to replace Mentor's "Renoir". But I haven't heard anything of it for
some time.

:Ok,
:
[...]

I use Visio 5 Technical (last version before Visio was bought by MS). It
is great for all H/W design documentation - I even use it to draw waveforms
when designing interfaces. Unlike applications designed specifically to
draw waveforms, it allows to violate timing without constatly
yelling at me.

I've tried to use Visio 2000, but MS had slowed it down and screwed about
with the UI; it may be more office-compatible, but it is far less
me-compatible. I will stay with Visio 5 until I leave Windows (I use
Win2K and have no plans to ever switch to any later Windows version;
I'll switch to Linux before using WinXP and its "cute & friendly" UI).

Site Timeline