OT: Block diagramming tools?

Ok,

This is slightly off-topic but what do people in here use to create their digital logic block diagrams?

I am hopefully looking for something that runs on Win2000, but I'd consider Linux/FreeBSD alternatives.

Currently I am using "SmartDraw"

but I find my block digrams look messy and it's not easy to "rubber band" things like clock signals. I sometimes like to place text in a block (i.e. "Counter") but also like to leave room for connections like a clock triangle (>) and text for EN(able) but when I'm finished the results aren't appealing.

I've also used Edge Diagrammer (from Pacesoft) and found it was "weird" in many respects.

Both Edge and SmartDraw are annoying in one particular aspect; if a line is "attached" to an object, when the object is moved, instead of using right-angles to re-draw the lines, the connecting line is put at an angle.

I know a lot of people in general use Visio, what is considered the best, most lean version of Visio? I loathe Office and especially anything beyond Office '97.

I'm also interested to hear if anyone uses Kivo/Kivo MP.

Thanks! Jay.

Reply to
Jay

related thread:

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

[...]

David R Brooks

I use Visio 5 Technical (last version before Visio was bought by MS). It is great for all H/W design documentation - I even use it to draw waveforms when designing interfaces. Unlike applications designed specifically to draw waveforms, it allows to violate timing without constatly yelling at me.

I've tried to use Visio 2000, but MS had slowed it down and screwed about with the UI; it may be more office-compatible, but it is far less me-compatible. I will stay with Visio 5 until I leave Windows (I use Win2K and have no plans to ever switch to any later Windows version; I'll switch to Linux before using WinXP and its "cute & friendly" UI).

Reply to
Assaf Sarfati