Optimization of Multiplication in FPGA

hi, there

in my project, i need to do some multiplication. and i optimized the multiplicand to numbers like 0.75, 0.625. I wonder would the synthesizer automatically detect them like 0.75 = 1 - 1/4, 0.625 = 1/2

  • 1/8, or i need to code it manually in this way?

does it differ across different synthesizer? i am using xilinx synthesizer.

thanks Zhaoyi

Reply to
agou

agou schrieb:

You need to code "semi" manual anyway, since most synthesizers do not support floting point multiplications. So when you make a x 0.75 multiplication, you need to multiply by 192 when you need 8 bit precision. A multiplication with an constant is cheap anyway.

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

Reply to